Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Brunswick in Glynn County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Mark Carr

←—«

 
 
Mark Carr Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, September 20, 2008
1. Mark Carr Marker
Inscription. Brunswick`s first settler came to Georgia in 1738 with Oglethorpe`s regiment. He was granted 500 acres at this place, on which he established his plantation.

Several tabby buildings erected by him stood nearby and a military outpost was maintained here.

In 1741 Indians from Florida raided his plantation, causing 750 pounds damage. The Indians killed or wounded some of the soldiers, while others were taken prisoners.
 
Erected 1953 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 063-1.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
 
Location. 31° 8.252′ N, 81° 29.34′ W. Marker is in Brunswick, Georgia, in Glynn County. Marker is on Union Street near 1st Avenue, in the median. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Brunswick GA 31520, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Sidney Lanier (approx. half a mile away); Brunswick's "Liberty Ships" (approx. 0.9 miles away); World War II Memorial (approx. 0.9 miles away); Glynn County War Memorial (approx. 1.1 miles
Mark Carr Marker, along Union Street, looking north image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, September 20, 2008
2. Mark Carr Marker, along Union Street, looking north
away); Glynn County (approx. 1.1 miles away); Dedicated to the Veterans of 1898 -1902 (approx. 1.1 miles away); Colored Memorial School and Risley High School (approx. 1.2 miles away); Lanier's Oak (approx. 1.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Brunswick.
 
Regarding Mark Carr. His settlement was near the river between what is now Dartmouth Street and 1st Avenue, comprised of about 1000 acres. Being situated on a peninsula and with the principle area crop being tobacco was grown in this area, it was called Plug Point.
 
Also see . . .  Wikipedia entry for Brunswick, Georgia. The area's first European settler, Mark Carr, arrived in 1738. Carr, a Scotsman, was a captain in General James Oglethorpe’s Marine Boat Company; upon landing, he established his 1,000-acre (4.0 km2) tobacco plantation along the Turtle River. The Royal Province of Georgia purchased Carr’s fields in 1771 and laid out the town of Brunswick in the grid style following Oglethorpe’s Savannah Plan. (Submitted on October 13, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.) 
 
Categories. Colonial EraNative AmericansSettlements & SettlersWars, US Indian
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,819 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement