“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Mount Airy in Carroll County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)

Mount Airy

Under the Barrels


—Gettysburg Campaign —

Civil War Trails Mount Airy Marker image. Click for full size.
August 23, 2008
1. Civil War Trails Mount Airy Marker
Inscription. In 1839, the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad extended its line through Mount Airy Cut, and a village soon developed here. During the Civil War, Co. K, 14th New Jersey Infantry, guarded the railroad and National Road at Mount Airy. Pine Grove Chapel, built in 1846 and first called Ridge Presbyterian Church, served as a barracks.

When an old slave named Abaigail carried liquor from the Ridgeville hotel to sell to the soldiers, Capt. Jacob J. Janeway, the company commander, decided to make an example of her and the first soldier he caught buying liquor. He ordered the heads broken out of two barrels and the barrels placed over the heads of the two culprits, who were then marched up and down the track at the point of a bayonet, much to the amusement of the other soldiers and the passengers on a passing train.

On June 29, 1863, elements of Union Gen. David McM. Gregg’s cavalry division rode through Mount Airy in pursuit of Gen. J.E.B. Stuart’s cavalry, which was thought to threaten Baltimore and Washington as it rode east of the Union army unchecked. On the same day, Gen. John Sedgwick’s VI Corps marched by here in the direction of Westminster to form the right flank of the Pipe Creek Line at Manchester.
Erected by Maryland Civil War Trails.
Marker series.
Mount Airy Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, September 23, 2012
2. Mount Airy Marker
This marker is included in the Maryland Civil War Trails marker series.
Location. 39° 22.301′ N, 77° 9.585′ W. Marker is in Mount Airy, Maryland, in Carroll County. Marker is on South Main Street (Maryland Route 808), on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Mount Airy MD 21771, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Mount Airy Station (approx. half a mile away); The Mount Airy Rail Yard (approx. half a mile away); Runkles Mill and The Mt. Airy Milling Company (approx. half a mile away); First National Bank Building (approx. half a mile away); Parrsville & Ridgeville (approx. half a mile away); Poplar Springs (approx. 3.4 miles away); Mile Stones of the old National Pike (approx. 3.8 miles away); Simpson & Mount Gregory United Methodist Churches (approx. 3.9 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Mount Airy.
More about this marker. On the lower left of the marker is a sketch captioned "Cavalry".

The marker also features pictures of Capt. Jacob J. Janeway, Gen. John Sedgwick, Gen. David McM. Gregg, and a map of the Gettysburg campaign with the caption, Position of the Union Army of the Potomac June 29, 1863 (midday). New Union commander Gen. George G. Meade
Mount Airy Marker at Pine Grove Chapel image. Click for full size.
August 23, 2008
3. Mount Airy Marker at Pine Grove Chapel
orders his army north with two objectives: Engage the Confederate army under the best possible conditions while protecting Washington D.C. Learning that the Union army was close and getting closer, Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee orders his army to consolidate somewhere near the Maryland-Pennsylvania border.

Also see . . .  History of Mt. Airy. (Submitted on October 14, 2008.)
Categories. War, US Civil
Close-up of Map on Marker image. Click for full size.
August 23, 2008
4. Close-up of Map on Marker
Credits. This page originally submitted on . This page has been viewed 1,865 times since then and 133 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on .   2. submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234.   3, 4. submitted on . • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement