“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Granville in Licking County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)

Bank of the Alexandrian Society

The Marker image. Click for full size.
By Elia J. Prats
1. The Marker
Inscription. Built by William Stedman in 1816 of local stone, this building served as the Bank of the Alexandrian Society, which printed its own currency. The bank failed in 1817 and 1837. This building has also been used as a store, post office, and inter-urban railway depot. It was enlarged and opened as a museum during Granville's Sesquicentennial Celebration in 1955, and was listed on the National Register of Historic Places as part of the Granville Historic District in 1980.
Erected 1990 by Granville Ohio Historical Society and the Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 7-45.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 40° 4.066′ N, 82° 31.193′ W. Marker is in Granville, Ohio, in Licking County. Marker is on East Broadway (Ohio Route 661) east of Main Street (Ohio Route 661), on the right when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 115 East Broadway, Granville OH 43023, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Founding of Granville, The Licking Company / The Granville Site "The most eligible part" (a few steps from this marker); Granville Opera House
The Former Alexandrian Society Bank image. Click for full size.
By Elia J. Prats, February 24, 2006
2. The Former Alexandrian Society Bank
(a few steps from this marker); Bolen Memorial Park (a few steps from this marker); The Granville Academy / The Anti-Slavery Movement (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Robbins Hunter Museum Avery-Downer House (about 500 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Granville.
Also see . . .
1. The Bank of Granville Alexandrian Society. from (Submitted on February 27, 2006.) 

2. History of the Granville Public Library. “. . . In January, 1807, a charter was granted to the [library] association by the government of Ohio; called the Alexandrian Society (in memory of the great library of Alexandria, Egypt), the charter also provided for the operation of a bank, which was located in the yellow stone building which at present houses the Granville Historical Society's museum. . . .” (Submitted on February 27, 2006.) 
Categories. Arts, Letters, MusicEducationNotable Buildings
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Elia J. Prats of Columbus, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,586 times since then and 63 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Elia J. Prats of Columbus, Ohio. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement