Canal Winchester in Franklin County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Bergstresser/Dietz Covered Bridge
In March, 1887, the Franklin County Commissioners announced the building of a bridge in Madison Township over Little Walnut Creek at Kramer's Ford. Area citizens had petitioned for a bridge to transport agricultural products to the canal and railroad. Michael Corbett of Groveport contracted to construct the abutments and the Columbus Bridge Company built the covered bridge for $2,690.00. Reuban L. Partridge, company vice president, supervised the building, using his patented truss system consisting of double and triple truss members constructed of pine and oak.
(Continued on the other side)
(Continued from the other side)
In the 1930's the road traveling over the bridge became State Route 674 and in the 1950s the road was redirected to bypass the covered bridge. In 1990, the county contracted with Abba Lichtenstein & Associates to evaluate the condition of the bridge. The W.J. Seidensticker Company repaired and restored the Bergstresser bridge using original and new materials. This, the last covered bridge in Franklin County, was rededicated September 1, 1991. At this time the ownership of the bridge was transferred to the Village of Canal Winchester.
Erected 1992 by Citizens for Positive Growth to the Village of Canal Winchester and The
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 39° 49.978′ N, 82° 48.961′ W. Marker is in Canal Winchester, Ohio, in Franklin County. Marker is at the intersection of Washington Street and Ashbrook Road, on the right when traveling south on Washington Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Canal Winchester OH 43110, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Ohio's Oldest Active School (approx. 0.6 miles away); Canal Winchester and the Ohio and Erie Canal (approx. 0.8 miles away); Stradley Place (approx. 0.8 miles away); The Interurban Depot (approx. 0.8 miles away); Prentiss School No. 8 (approx. one mile away); Canal Winchester (approx. one mile away); Pvt. Alfred Cannon (approx. one mile away); Canal Winchester Vietnam Veterans Memorial (approx. 1.7 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Canal Winchester.
More about this marker. Bridge is open to foot traffic.
Categories. • Bridges & Viaducts •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,121 times since then and 72 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.