Philadelphia in Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Report from the Fort
31 October 1820 . Major Samuel Babcock, Engineer
Quarters for officers 96 by 28 feet and two stories high built in 1814.
Report from the Fort
16 October 1844 . Major Brevet C.W. Thomas
The officers attached to the post are six – five company officers and one assistant surgeon with rank of Captain. It will be seen that the quarters are ample, even if all the officers should be present, one is absent permanently.
Four officers were assigned to this well-equipped building with two apartments per floor and kitchen wings with interior staircases. (The commanding officer of the post lived in the more spacious and elegant Commandant’s House.) Each officer had two rooms with back-to-back fireplaces, closet space, and a kitchen with a cooking fireplace. The structure’s symmetry, porch, and matching exterior staircases represent typical military architecture of the Federal Period. Solid exterior shutters protected windows from both the elements and enemy. The porch roof is supported by eight round columns of solid wood. A unique feature of the porch is the use of iron straps to support the flooring and an ornate wrought iron balustrade with cast-iron rosettes. The iron work was probably made by the Fort Mifflin blacksmith. The railing stands alone in the
A sampling of the names of Officers who served at Fort Mifflin after 1814 and may have lived in this building includes:
1814 Capt. Benjamin S. Ogden (3rd Artillery),
Capt. Thomas J. Biddle (Company of Artillery),
Capt. John Annesley (Philadelphia Marine Artillery)
1815 Capt. Richard Zantzinger,
Col. George E. Mitchell (4th Military Department)
1817 Col. Moses Porter (Light Artillery)
1819 Col. Jonathan Mountfort
1821 Capt. Isaac Roach, Jr. (2nd Artillery)
1823 Col. John Hindman (2nd Artillery)
1824 Maj. James M. Glassell,
Lt. Henry S. Mallory (2nd Artillery)
1836 Maj. Benjamin K. Pierce (4th Artillery)
1841 Lt. William B. Blair
1845 Lt. William Armstrong (2nd Artillery)
1846 Lt. Harvey A. Allen (2nd Artillery)
1848 Capt. Robert K. Scott (Co. H 1st Regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteers),
Lt. Frances F. Patterson (1st Artillery),
Lt. Col. Lucien B. Webster (1st Artillery),
Capt. Isaac Bowen (1st Artillery)
1850 Capt Joseph Roberts (4th Artillery)
Edge laced shoulder bars of colored cloth show the
special insignia of rank.
Calvary – Yellow
Infantry – Light blue
Artillery – Red
Four silver stars
Three silver stars
Two silver stars
One silver star
Silver oak leaf
Gold oak leaf
Two gold bars
One silver bar
One gold bar
The hierarchy of living quarters and life style in the military has always been determined by rank. A General Order defining the allowance of fuel and living accommodations for 1814 provides a good example of standards for that year.
General Order December 1, 1814
Listed below are Quarters and Monthly Allowance of Wood from 30 April to 1 Nov...and... from 1 Nov to 30 April:
To a Major General,
To a Brigadier General, Commissary General of Ordinance, Physicians and Surgeon General, each two rooms and a kitchen…..1…..4½
To every other officer having the rank of field officer, one room and a kitchen…..1…..3
To each Brigadier Major, Deputy Paymaster General, District or Assistant District Paymaster, Captain Judge Advocate, Chaplain, Hospital Surgeons mates of two Regimental Surgeons’ mates, one room……½ …….1½
To the senior officer at a post, and to the principal officer of each branch of the staff, one room as an office…..-…..2
For all other commissioned officers, one room to every two officers…… ½ ……1½
To each mess of six or more officers, one room as a kitchen…… ½ ……1
At posts where there are less than six officers, fuel for a kitchen shall be allowed.
For every six noncommissioned officers, musicians, or privates….. ½ ……1
By order of the Secretary of War
Adj. & Insp Gen.
Erected by Fort Mifflin Historic Site.
Location. 39° 52.548′ N, 75° 12.796′ W. Marker is in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, in Philadelphia County. Marker can be reached from W Fort Mifflin Road, on the right when traveling east. Click for map
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Powder Magazine (within shouting distance of this marker); Soldiers’ Barracks (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Mifflin (Mud Fort) on Mud Island (within shouting distance of this marker); Quartermaster’s Store (within shouting distance of this marker); Citadel - 1796 (within shouting distance of this marker); West Sallyport (within shouting distance of this marker); Arsenal (within shouting distance of this marker); Blacksmith Shop (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Click for a list of all markers in Philadelphia.
More about this marker. The center of the marker contains a picture of an Officer of Engineers from 1846, courtesy of the National Archives.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. This series of markers follow the walking tour of Fort Mifflin.
Also see . . .
1. The Fort that saved America. The Official Website of Fort Mifflin on the Delaware. (Submitted on October 16, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
2. Fort Mifflin Groundplan (Submitted on October 16, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 911 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. 3, 4. submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.