Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Worthington in Franklin County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Saint John's Church of Worthington and Parts Adjacent / Church and Graveyard

 
 
Saint John's Church of Worthington and Parts Adjacent Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., October 17, 2008
1. Saint John's Church of Worthington and Parts Adjacent Marker
Inscription.
Saint John's Church of Worthington and Parts Adjacent
In October of 1803, members of The Scioto Company, led by James Kilbourne, came from Connecticut and founded Worthington. On February 6, 1804, the Articles of Agreement establishing St. John's Church of Worthington were executed. St. John's, which had been planned in Connecticut prior to the Company's departure, became the first Episcopal church established in the Northwest Territory and served as the founding church for several Episcopal churches in Ohio. James Kilbourne served as the church's first Deacon. Reverend Philander Chase, the first Rector of St. John's, became the first Episcopal Bishop of Ohio and founded Kenyon College. St. John's Church and graveyard are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Church and Graveyard
This Gothic Revival style church was completed in 1831. The first settlers brought an altar, which is still in use. A bell brought with the settlers served the early school and church in a log cabin located on the northeast quadrant of the Village Green. Today the bell is in the bell tower of Kilbourne Middle School. The present church bell was purchased in Pittsburgh and first tolled here in 1833. The church graveyard was established with the burial of Captain Abner Pinney on November
Church and Graveyard Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., October 17, 2008
2. Church and Graveyard Marker
23, 1804, and served as the community burial ground in the early nineteenth century. James Kilbourne is buried in the graveyard. There are 317 documented burials including five Revolutionary War and seven War of 1812 veterans.
 
Erected 2003 by Ohio Bicentennial Commission, The Longaberger Company, St. John's Church, and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 54-25.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
 
Location. 40° 5.325′ N, 83° 1.047′ W. Marker is in Worthington, Ohio, in Franklin County. Marker is on Dublin-Granville Road (Ohio Route 161) 0.1 miles east of High Street (U.S. 23), on the right when traveling east. Click for map. Saint John's Church borders the southeast quadrant of the village green. Marker is at or near this postal address: 700 High Street, Columbus OH 43085, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Bicentennial Oak (within shouting distance of this marker); Eclectic Medical College (within shouting distance of this marker); Worthington Historic District (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Veterans Fountain
Saint John's Episcopal Church image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., October 17, 2008
3. Saint John's Episcopal Church
(about 300 feet away); James Kilbourne / Worthington Hotel (about 400 feet away); The Founding of Worthington / Worthington, A Planned Community (about 400 feet away); Worthington Masonic Museum (approx. 0.2 miles away); Brigadier General Roswell Sabin Ripley, CSA (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Worthington.
 
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial SitesChurches, Etc.Notable PersonsWar of 1812War, US Revolutionary
 
Saint John's Episcopal Church Entrance image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., October 17, 2008
4. Saint John's Episcopal Church Entrance
St. John's Episcopal Church </b>(in background) image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., October 17, 2008
5. St. John's Episcopal Church (in background)
A sundial and benches give a place to pause for reflection. There is a plaque on the sundial in remembrance of Rosemary "Ro" Reeder Kessler (see next picture).
Rosemary "Ro" Reeder Kessler Plaque image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., October 17, 2008
6. Rosemary "Ro" Reeder Kessler Plaque
A Time of Reflection
"The sunshine of our lives, Ro was like no other. She cared, she shared her wealth of talent and tenderness with the world. We were nurtured by the warmth of her smile, guided by her wit and wisdom, inspired by her courage. In time you will remember. We never will forget."
Kris, Rod, Kaye Kessler and a World of Friends
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,016 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.   5, 6. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement