Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Havre de Grace in Harford County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Old Post Road: Susquehanna Lower Ferry

 
 
Susquehanna Lower Ferry Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Pfingsten, June 24, 2007
1. Susquehanna Lower Ferry Marker
Inscription. Old Post Road Established 1666. Public Ferry ordered established by the Council of Maryland 1695 for travel between north and south. General Washington and many notable men used this ferry, also, the Continental Army and soldiers of War Between the States.
 
Erected 1985 by The City of Havre de Grace in celebration of its Bicentennial.
 
Location. 39° 33.113′ N, 76° 5.508′ W. Marker is in Havre de Grace, Maryland, in Harford County. Marker is at the intersection of St. Johnís Street and Union Avenue (Maryland Route 7), on the left when traveling north on St. Johnís Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Havre de Grace MD 21078, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Matilda O'Neill Home (within shouting distance of this marker); Susquehanna River Crossing (within shouting distance of this marker); Susquehanna Lower Ferry (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Lock House (about 300 feet away); Under Attack (about 300 feet away); Out of the Flames (approx. 0.2 miles away); Rochambeau Plaza (approx. 0.2 miles away); War in the Chesapeake (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Havre de Grace.
 
Regarding Old Post Road: Susquehanna Lower Ferry.
Old Post Road: Susquehanna Lower Ferry Marker (full view) image. Click for full size.
By R. C.
2. Old Post Road: Susquehanna Lower Ferry Marker (full view)
This city became known as Havre de Grace in about 1782. Before it was known as Susquehanna Lower Ferry, a link in the great coach road between Philadelphia and the south known as the Post Road.
 
Categories. Colonial EraLandmarksNotable PersonsWar, US CivilWar, US RevolutionaryWaterways & Vessels
 
Lafayette Hotel image. Click for full size.
By William Pfingsten, June 24, 2007
3. Lafayette Hotel
Now an American Legion Post, this building was erected in 1834 replacing the older ferry building on this site.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,725 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on , by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.   2. submitted on , by R. C. of Shrewsbury, New Jersey.   3. submitted on , by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement