Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Placerville in El Dorado County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Upper Central House

 
 
Upper Central House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, October 18, 2008
1. Upper Central House Marker
Inscription. First operated by Elias Parker, only Gold Rush hotel still standing in Placerville. Used as the Placerville Academy School from 1871 – 1894. Dedicated May 6, 1962, by Marguerite Parlor No.12, Native Daughters of the Golden West on their 75th anniversary.

Note: Marker states building is still standing (as of May 1962). Building was torn down in 1964]
 
Erected 1962 by Native Daughters of the Golden West and Placerville Parlor No. 9, Native Sons of the Golden West.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West marker series.
 
Location. 38° 43.736′ N, 120° 47.793′ W. Marker is in Placerville, California, in El Dorado County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and Clay Street, on the right when traveling west on Main Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Placerville CA 95667, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. J. Wonderly House / N.C. Fassett Groceries & Provisions / Burn & McBride / Lofty Lou’s Yarn Shop (a few steps from this marker); The Druid Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); John Mohler Studebaker
Upper Central House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, October 18, 2008
2. Upper Central House Marker
The lower marker is the Ivy House dedication plaque placed by the Native Daughters of the Golden West.
(about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Old Vet’s Building (about 500 feet away); Fountain and Tallman Soda Works (about 600 feet away); Methodist Episcopal Church (about 700 feet away); Placerville (about 800 feet away); Thomas Maul (about 800 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Placerville.
 
Regarding Upper Central House. Also see: Ivy House marker for additional information.
 
Additional comments.
1. Building No Longer Standing
The site of the Ivy House hotel, so named because of the Ivy covered facade. The first hotel, the Central House, was built on this site in 1864. At this site also was the Placerville Academy. The Ivy House was torn down in 1964 when it was deemed too fragile to save. Source: Placerville Walking Tour
    — Submitted October 20, 2008, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.

 
Categories. EducationIndustry & CommerceNotable Buildings
 
Upper Central House and Ivy House Markers image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, October 18, 2008
3. Upper Central House and Ivy House Markers
Ivy House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, October 18, 2008
4. Ivy House Marker
Known as Ivy House from 1891 – 1964
Rededicated September 19, 1981
By
Marguerite Parlor No.12,
N.D.G.W.
In Honor Of
Placerville Parlor No.9
N.S.G.W. 100th Anniversary
Ivy House image. Click for full size.
By Placerville Walking Tour Brochure
5. Ivy House
Upper Central House replaced by Farmers Market in Placerville image. Click for full size.
By Stephanie Carlson, June 26, 2009
6. Upper Central House replaced by Farmers Market in Placerville
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 1,118 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.   6. submitted on , by Stephanie Carlson of Placerville, United States. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement