Trenton in Edgefield County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Established as a result of the inspiration and efforts of the Reverend Alexander Bettis, this coeducational institution was incorporated in 1889 and provided elementary, high school, and junior college training for blacks. A.W. Nicholson succeeded Bettis as president and served about fifty years. The school, which closed in the 1950s, was located about 1 1/2 miles southeast.
Erected 1979 by Mt. Canaan Educational and Missionary Association. (Marker Number 19-9.)
Location. 33° 39.933′ N, 81° 52.85′ W. Marker is in Trenton, South Carolina, in Edgefield County. Marker is on Bettis Academy Road, on the left when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is located in the northeast corner of the intersection of Bettis Academy Road and U.S. 25. Marker is in this post office area: Trenton SC 29847, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Mt. Canaan Baptist Church (approx. ¼ mile away); a different marker also named Bettis Academy (approx. 1.3 miles away); 12 Stone Monument (approx. 1.4 miles away); Horn's Creek Church (approx. 5 miles away); Horns Creek Baptist Church / Revolutionary Skirmish at Horns Creek Darby (approx. 5.9 miles away); Benjamin R. Tillman House (approx. 6 miles away); Marie Cromer Seigler House (approx. 7 miles away); Graniteville Train Derailment (approx. 8 miles away); Graniteville Mill (approx. 8.1 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Trenton.
Also see . . .
1. Bettis Academy and Junior College. Bettis Academy and Junior College, established in 1881 and closed in 1952, is significant for its role in the primary, secondary, and higher education of African Americans in what is now Edgefield, Aiken, Greenwood, and Saluda Counties from the late nineteenth through the mid-twentieth century. (Submitted on October 21, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
2. The Bettis Academy: Restoration, Preservation, Heritage Museum, and Tourist Project. Founded by Rev. Alexander Bettis, a former slave, the Bettis Academy was established as a school for African-Americans at a time when educational opportunities for blacks were practically nonexistent. (Submitted on October 21, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
3. Mount Canaan Association. Official (Submitted on October 21, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
4. Brief Sketch of the Life and Labors of Rev. Alexander Bettis by Alfred W. Nicholson. (Submitted on October 21, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
5. Bettis Academy Science Building Gets Makeover. The second of the original buildings of the former Bettis Academy and Junior College to be restored to its original character was dedicated Sunday on the Bettis Academy campus. (Submitted on January 2, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
1. Bettis Academy and Junior College
Bettis Academy and Junior College, located on what was once a campus of fourteen classrooms, dormitory, and related buildings near Trenton, in Edgefield County, South Carolina, now consists of three historic buildings and one historic landscape, all dating from the last twenty years of the institution, which closed in 1952.
These properties contribute to the historic character of the campus:
1. Alexander Bettis Community Library (1938): Constructed of rock-faced with tooled draft imitation stone blocks molded by student labor, this bungalow-form building was built as the Bettis Academy
2. Classroom Building (ca. 1935): This bungalow-influenced, stuccoed-brick building with expansive V-crimp metal-clad hip roof was constructed by students to house classrooms and later included some dormitory space as well. It features exposed rafter tails, gable hoods with knee-braces over entry stoops on the principal facade and both side elevations, and tripartite windows, some of the sash of which is no longer intact. The building is presently (1998) used in part for storage; however, is largely unused.
3. Biddle Hall (1942): Also constructed of rock-faced with tooled draft imitation stone blocks molded by student labor, the building was named for Mr. and Mrs. Clement S. Biddle of New york, who donated the funds for a "modern home economics unit" at Bettis Academy and Junior College. Of the three intact historic academic buildings now on the campus, Biddle Hall exhibits the most stylistic
4. Bettis Academy and Junior College Park (1942): A triangular park including monuments to three presidents of the Academy: Rev. Alexander Bettis, Alfred W. Nicholson, and Acie C. Hightower. This area features cast stone coping, steps, and historic plantings, principally mature sycamore trees.
Statement of Significance
Bettis Academy and Junior college, established in 1881 and closed in 1952, is significant for its role in the primary, secondary, and higher education of blacks in what is now Edgefield, Aiken, Greenwood, and Saluda Counties from the late nineteenth century through the mid-twentieth century, in a period when black education was neglected by many of the public and private institutions in South Carolina.
Alexander Bettis (1836-1895), founder of Bettis Academy, was born a slave on a nearby Edgefield District plantation owned by a widow Jones and worked as an overseer and sawmill manager during the Civil War. In 1868, after the local Baptist association refused to ordain him, Bettis and a group of seventeen blacks, helped by three ministers affiliated with
Bettis Academy was an outgrowth of the Mt. Canaan Educational Association, founded in 1880 by Bettis and other ordained ministers and representatives of various black Baptist churches in the area. The association, created to raise money and establish schools to serve the black community, purchased 27 acres at this site near the boundary of Edgefield and Aiken Districts and set aside the remainder of its funds for lumber. The land was cleared in the summer of 1881, and after the first school building -- a one-room frame classroom building -- was completed that fall it was dedicated and opened on New Years' Day 1882. The school became a boarding school in its earliest years, with a girls' dormitory built in 1883 and a boys' dormitory built in 1884. The curriculum at Bettis Academy included, in addition to the standard academic subjects, religious instruction, teacher training, and instruction in farming and home economics. Under the leadership of Alfred W. Nicholson, who served as principal 1900-1945, Bettis Academy expanded its student body to more than 1,000 students,
— Submitted January 1, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.
2. National Register of Historic Places:
Bettis Academy and Junior College (added 1998 - - #98000560)
Period of Significance: 1925-1949
— Submitted September 25, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.
Categories. • 20th Century • African Americans • Education • Notable Buildings • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 2,021 times since then and 68 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11. submitted on , by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 12, 13. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.