Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Abingdon in Harford County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

“Constant Friendship”

 
 
“Constant Friendship” Marker image. Click for full size.
By Beverly Pfingsten, June 24, 2007
1. “Constant Friendship” Marker
Inscription. Acquired 1761 by Colonel Thomas White (1704–1779). Largest colonial landowner in this part of Maryland. Deputy Surveyor-General of Baltimore (then including Harford) County. Father of Bishop William White, first presiding Bishop of the Episcopal Church and Chaplain of the Continental Congress.
 
Erected by Historical Society of Harford County.
 
Location. 39° 28.175′ N, 76° 18.602′ W. Marker is near Abingdon, Maryland, in Harford County. Marker is at the intersection of Emmorton Road (Maryland Route 924) and Box Hills Parkway, on the right on Emmorton Road. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Abingdon MD 21009, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Gov. William Paca (approx. 1.6 miles away); Old Post Road: Cokesbury College (approx. 1.7 miles away); Captain John Smith (approx. 2.2 miles away); Site of “Old Baltimore” (approx. 2.2 miles away); Harford Town, or Bush (approx. 2.3 miles away); “The Bush Declaration” (approx. 2.4 miles away); This Tablet (approx. 2.4 miles away); “Olney” (approx. 3.6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Abingdon.
 
Also see . . .
The house near collapse in 1976 image. Click for full size.
Susan M. Deeney - Maryland Historical Trust (Historic Sites Survey), November 1976
2. The house near collapse in 1976
 Bishop William White. (Submitted on November 20, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.)
 
Additional comments.
1. Constant Friendship Dwelling
There are no dwellings remaining in this area. Col. White owned 7000 acres as well as Sophia's Dairy. In addition, he owned property on Thomas Run Road a few miles from Medical Hall.
    — Submitted June 26, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.

2. Constant Friendship Dwelling
The house was uninhabited for several decades. On December 26, 1974, it was completely gutted by fire.
    — Submitted March 3, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio.

 
Categories. Churches, Etc.Colonial EraNotable Persons
 
Log dwelling at Constant Friendship image. Click for full size.
Susan M. Deeney - Maryland Historical Trust (Historic Sites Survey), November 1976
3. Log dwelling at Constant Friendship
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 2,381 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on , by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.   2, 3. submitted on , by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement