Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Delaware in Delaware County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Zion African Methodist Episcopal Church

 
 
Zion African Methodist Episcopal Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., October 21, 2008
1. Zion African Methodist Episcopal Church Marker
Inscription. Organized in 1845, Zion African Methodist Episcopal Church is the oldest congregation of African descent in Delaware, with Reverend Daniel Winslow serving as the first minister. In 1853 the cornerstone of the first church was laid, which was dedicated in 1855. Three former Pastors of Zion became Bishops in the AME Church—James A. Shorter, 1868; John Mifflin Brown, 1868; and Cornelius T. Shaffer, 1900. In 1876 the existing church was razed and carpenter, brick mason, and plaster church members built the present edifice. A fire destroyed the interior on December 19, 1983, and for two years the congregation met in the recreation building of the Londontown Apartments, undercroft of the William Street Methodist Church, and sanctuary of the Victory Seventh Day Adventist Church. On the first Sunday in October 1985, Presiding Elder Virgil Cummins, Pastor Rodney Thomas, and the congregation marched from the Adventist Church back into the restored sanctuary.
 
Erected 2004 by Zion African Methodist Episcopal Church and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 13-21.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
 
Location. 40° 17.658′ N,
Zion African Methodist Episcopal Church and Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., October 21, 2008
2. Zion African Methodist Episcopal Church and Marker
83° 4.309′ W. Marker is in Delaware, Ohio, in Delaware County. Marker is at the intersection of Washington Street and Bernard Avenue, on the right when traveling south on Washington Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 140 S Washington St, Delaware OH 43015, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Edwards Gymnasium / Home of High School Basketball Tournaments (approx. 0.2 miles away); Eddy, Kroener, and Riesz Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); University Hall and Gray Chapel (approx. 0.3 miles away); Wesley Branch Rickey (approx. 0.3 miles away); Elliott Hall (approx. 0.3 miles away); Cherry, Judge, Luckett Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); Old City Hall and Opera House (approx. 0.4 miles away); 1897 Memorial Tree (approx. 0.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Delaware.
 
Categories. African AmericansChurches, Etc.Notable Buildings
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 892 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement