Inscription. Peach Bottom Slate, first used 1734, is the oldest in America. The first commercial cut having been made 1785 by workmen who were primarily Welsh. At the London Crystal Palace Exposition, 1850, Peach Bottom Slate was judged best in the world.
By Beverly Pfingsten, June 24, 2007
|1. Peach Bottom Slate Region Marker|
Erected by Maryland Historical Society.
Location. 39° 42.689′ N, 76° 21.07′ W. Marker is near Whiteford, Maryland, in Harford County. Marker is at the intersection of Pylesville Road and Whiteford Road, on the right when traveling north on Pylesville Road. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Whiteford MD 21160, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, as the crow flies. Mason - Dixon Line (approx. 0.8 miles away in Pennsylvania); Lock No. 12 (approx. 7.2 miles away in Pennsylvania); Survivor of the Past (approx. 7.2 miles away in Pennsylvania); Capt. Angus Greme (approx. 8.2 miles away); “Indian Spring” (approx. 8.5 miles away); Lafayette at Colonel Rigbie’s House (approx. 8.6 miles away); Bald Friar Ford & Ferry (approx. 9.5 miles away); Saint Ignatius Church (approx. 9.5 miles away).
Regarding Peach Bottom Slate Region. “The slate region of this State is a continuation of the York County slate belt. The Maryland quarries are all in the northern part of Harford County, near the State line. The quarries of these two counties constitute what is known as the Peach Bottom slate region.” — from The Sixteenth Annual Report of the United States Geological Survey 1894. “Stone” chapter by William C. Day.
1. Slate Quarries
By clicking on the map link, switching to satellite and moving in closer, you will see 4 dark areas to the southeast of the marker. These are the quarries that are now filled with water.
— Submitted June 26, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.
Credits. This page originally submitted on June 24, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 2,823 times since then. Photo 1. submitted on June 24, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.
|Recommend or Share This Page. |