“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Carrollton in Carroll County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)

Dixie Street

From 1865

Dixie Street Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, October 15, 2008
1. Dixie Street Marker
Inscription. During the war between the states Carrollton was spared a bloody battle but she sustained four raids by Union troops. The last raid occurred 15 days after the surrender at Appomattox when troops commended by Union General John Croxton, returning from a raid on Tuscaloosa, camped 2 miles west of Carrollton on the night of 25 April 1865 On the morning of 25 April the Union troops pillaged the little town and burned buildings on the town square. They departed by way of Dixie Street, then called Bowen or Lower Ferry Road, upon approach of the home guard Tallapoosa Rangers under commend of Colonel John Beall. The confederates were singing 'Dixie' as they approached. Local tradition holds that a prominent resident, H.F. Merrell, was so moved by the sight and sound that he exclaimed that the road should be renamed DIXIE STREET, the name that it bears today.
Erected 1996 by McDaniel Curtis Camp, Sons of Confederate Veterans.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Sons of Confederate Veterans/United Confederate Veterans marker series.
Location. 33° 34.682′ N, 85° 4.328′ W. Marker is in Carrollton, Georgia, in Carroll County. Marker is on Dixie Street 2 miles south of West Avenue, on the left
Dixie Street Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, October 15, 2008
2. Dixie Street Marker
when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Carrollton GA 30117, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Charles Carroll of Carrollton (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Six Industrial Giants (about 700 feet away but has been reported missing); First "REA" Substation in Carroll County (approx. 2.3 miles away); Sacred Harp Singing (approx. 8.6 miles away); Last Land in Georgia Ceded by the Creeks (approx. 10.7 miles away); Site of Bowdon College (approx. 11.2 miles away); Council Bluffs Treaty (approx. 11.3 miles away); McIntosh Reserve (approx. 11.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Carrollton.
Categories. Roads & VehiclesWar, US Civil
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,132 times since then and 78 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement