Waynesville in Haywood County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
After Col. William C. Bartlett's 2nd N.C. Mounted Infantry (U.S.) occupied Waynesville early in May, the troops emptied the jail (located near the current police station), then burned it and the courthouse. They also burned the former residence of Robert Love, Sr., a well-regarded Revolutionary hero, founder of Waynesville, and father of Confederate Col. Matthew Love. The Federals scoured the surrounding area, plundering, raiding, and stealing horses and provisions from civilians.
On May 6, a company of Confederate Col. William H. Thomas's Legion under Lt. Robert T. Conley defeated a numerically superior company of Bartlett's mounted infantry at White Sulphur Springs, one mile west of here. The Union troops concentrated in Waynesville, which the Confederates then surrounded. Besides Thomas's 300 Cherokee soldiers, the Confederates also had 300 men under Col. Robert Love ll, all commanded by Gen. James Martin. During the night, Thomas's men yelled and danced around hundreds of campfires on the mountain slopes to intimidate the Federals. On the morning of May 7, Bartlett sent a flag of truce to Thomas for a surrender meeting
Erected by North Carolina Civil War Trails.
Marker series. This marker is included in the North Carolina Civil War Trails marker series.
Location. 35° 29.377′ N, 82° 59.3′ W. Marker is in Waynesville, North Carolina, in Haywood County. Marker is on North Main Street (State Highway 276). Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Waynesville NC 28786, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Old Time Music (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); N.C. Education Association (approx. 0.2 miles away); Martin's Surrender (approx. ¼ mile away); Museum Of N.C. Handicrafts (approx. 0.3 miles away); Thomas's Resting Place (approx. 0.4 miles away); Waynesville Engagement (approx. 0.8 miles away); Turpin's Chapel - Maple Grove United Methodist Church (approx. 2 miles away); "Cataloochee Trail" (approx. 2.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Waynesville.
More about this marker. In the lower left is a photo of a post war reunion, captioned, A Confederate veterans' reunion was held in Waynesville in August 1889. Col. William W. Stringfield noted that it was one of the first reunions held in the South, and veterans from Haywood, Buncombe, Jackson, Swain, and Macon counties attended. In the upper right is a photo of The Battle House, Ca. 1899, the year it was demolished.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Stanley and Terrie Howard of Greer, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,266 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on , by Stanley and Terrie Howard of Greer, South Carolina. 2, 3. submitted on , by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.