Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Dry Branch in Twiggs County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Rev. Vincent A. Tharp Home (1809)

 
 
Rev. Vincent A. Tharp Home (1809) Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, January 21, 2008
1. Rev. Vincent A. Tharp Home (1809) Marker
Inscription. This historic house, built for Rev. V. A. Tharp by his sons, John and Charnick, with slave labor in 1809, is the oldest known house in Twiggs County, then Wilkinson. The Tharp family, who occupied this house-in-the-wilderness in 1811, helped to supply Baptist leadership in the surrounding area and the Ebenezer Baptist Assn. Baptist notables were guests in this hospitable home -- Revs. Polhill, Franklin, Ross, Rhodes, Baker, McGinty, Mercer and others. In 1832 the property was sold to John Parker for $600. Later owners have been Joe Burkett, P.W. Martin and American Clay Co., and Stone Creek Baptist Church. The hand hewn timbers and logs remain in this pioneer landmark.
 
Erected 1958 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 143-9.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
 
Location. 32° 46.869′ N, 83° 29.851′ W. Marker is near Dry Branch, Georgia, in Twiggs County. Marker is on U.S. 80 half a mile south of Parker Road, on the left when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Dry Branch GA 31020, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Stone Creek Baptist Church - 1808 (approx. 1.4 miles away); Camp Wheeler (approx. 3.3 miles away); Battle of Griswoldville (approx. 5.2 miles away); The Cavalry Skirmish (approx. 6.2 miles away); a different marker also named Battle of Griswoldville (approx. 6.2 miles away but has been reported missing); Battle of Griswoldville The Deployment and Assaults (approx. 6.2 miles away); Griswoldville (approx. 6.2 miles away); Battle of Griswoldville The Advance from East Macon (approx. 6.2 miles away but has been reported missing).
 
Regarding Rev. Vincent A. Tharp Home (1809). The house, still standing, has been modified over the years.
 
Also see . . .  Vincent T. and Sarah (Pierson) Allentharpe. A biography of the Rev. Vincent A. Tharp. A link at the bottom takes you to a picture of the house.
"Vincent Tharp, a native of Virginia was born in 1760 and bore arms in the cause of his country towards the close of the Revolutionary War." (Submitted on October 24, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.) 
 
Categories. Antebellum South, USChurches, Etc.Notable BuildingsSettlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,011 times since then and 12 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide shot of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement