Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Columbus in Franklin County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Deaf School Park

 
 
Deaf School Park Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., October 17, 2008
1. Deaf School Park Marker
Inscription. This ten acre site was purchased in 1829 for the Ohio School for the Education of the Deaf. The first school building opened here in 1834; the school was enlarged in 1845. In 1868 the original school was replaced. Another school building was added in 1899 and a hospital in 1908. The Deaf School was relocated on Morse Road in 1953.
 
Erected 1985 by Alumni Association, Ohio School for the Deaf and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 13-25.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
 
Location. 39° 57.627′ N, 82° 59.273′ W. Marker is in Columbus, Ohio, in Franklin County. Marker is on Town Street, on the left when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is in Old Deaf School Park, near Twon Street. Marker is at or near this postal address: 480 East Town Street, Columbus OH 43215, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Topiary Garden (within shouting distance of this marker); Snowden- Gray House (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Columbus Main Library / Judge Noah Swayne Home (about 700 feet away); Kelton House
Deaf School Park Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., October 17, 2008
2. Deaf School Park Marker
Looking north.
(approx. 0.2 miles away); Wesley Chapel Methodist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Starling Medical College and St. Francis Hospital (approx. mile away); George Bellows / Roy Lichtenstein (approx. mile away); Home Site of Henry Howe — Historian (approx. mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Columbus.
 
Categories. Charity & Public WorkEducationHorticulture & Forestry
 
Old Deaf School Park Fence Along Town Street image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., October 17, 2008
3. Old Deaf School Park Fence Along Town Street
Old Deaf School Park Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., October 17, 2008
4. Old Deaf School Park Marker
Columbus Recreation & Parks Department
Old Deaf School Park Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., October 17, 2008
5. Old Deaf School Park Marker
Looking north.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 908 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement