Tybee Island in Chatham County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Erected 1958 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 025-64.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 32° 0.907′ N, 80° 52.72′ W. Marker is in Tybee Island, Georgia, in Chatham County. Marker is at the intersection of US 80 and Olde Tybee Rd., on the right when traveling east on US 80. Click for map. east of Lazaretto Creek, Tybee Island. Marker is in this post office area: Tybee Island GA 31328, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 Cockspur Island Lighthouse (approx. half a mile away); Long Range Artillery Duel (approx. half a mile away); A Turning Point In History (approx. half a mile away); Federal Batteries on Tybee Island (approx. half a mile away); The Breached Wall (approx. one mile away); Federal Siege Batteries (approx. one mile away); a different marker also named The Breached Wall (approx. one mile away); Store House (approx. one mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Tybee Island.
Regarding Lazaretto. A lazaretto or lazaret is a quarantine station for maritime travellers. Lazarets can be ships permanently at anchor, isolated islands, or mainland buildings. Until 1908, lazarets were also used for disinfecting postal items, usually by fumigation.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. Lazaretto Quarantine Station - Essington, PA
Also see . . .
1. New Georgia Encyclopedia. Atlantic Slave Trade to Savannah The voyage across the Atlantic Ocean from West Africa to Savannah lasted between four and six months. The duration of the voyage combined with the prolonged confinement of slaves increased the occurrence of infectious diseases. To prevent the spread of disease in Savannah, city officials in 1767 authorized the construction of a nine-story quarantine (Submitted on October 25, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
2. Tinicum Township, Pa, near Philadelphia. Historical Marker Recognizes the Lazaretto. The text on the marker will read, "Lazaretto Quarantine Station -- Delaware -- It is believed to be the last remaining quarantine station in the United States. For much of the 19th century, it was where many Europeans were first introduced to the United States." (Submitted on October 25, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • Landmarks • Notable Places •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,337 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.