Harpers Ferry in Jefferson County, West Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
In 60 years, the armory manufactured more than 500,000 muskets, rifles, and rifle-muskets. At its peak in 1850, the armory employed over 400 workers.
In 1861, Southern forces transported the captured armory machinery to Richmond and Fayetteville, where it became the heart and blood of Confederate ordinance. With the armory destroyed, Harpers Ferry’s economy and fortunes declined.
In 1892, the railroad covered the armory site with a 14-foot embankment. The monument in front of you marks the site of the fire-engine house, better known as John Brown’s Fort.
Erected by National Park Service.
Location. 39° 19.39′ N, 77° 43.777′ W. Marker is in Harpers Ferry, West Virginia, in Jefferson County. Marker is on S Potomac Street, on the right when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is in the Lower Town at Harpers Ferry National Historical Park. Marker is in this post office area: Harpers Ferry WV 25425, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. A Nation's Armory (a few steps from this marker); John Brown Fort (a few steps from this marker); John Brown Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); John Brown's Last Stand (within shouting distance of this marker); Large Arsenal (within shouting distance of this marker); Short-lived Sanctuary (within shouting distance of this marker); Large Arsenal Foundation (within shouting distance of this marker); Harper's Ferry History (within shouting distance of this marker). Click for a list of all markers in Harpers Ferry.
More about this marker. A photograph of the Armory appears at the top of the marker with the caption “Main entrance in 1865. In 1859, 20 brick workshops and offices extended in a double row for more than 600 yards along the Potomac shoreline.”
Also see . . . Harpers Ferry National Historical Park. National Park Service. (Submitted on October 25, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Notable Places • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,253 times since then and 91 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.