Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Copperopolis in Calaveras County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Copperopolis Armory

 
 
Copperopolis Armory Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, August 23, 2006
1. Copperopolis Armory Marker
Inscription. Copperopolis Armory, built by public subscription in 1866 for 8,000 dollars, was used by the Union Guard for enlisting and training troops. In 1866 it was sold to the Copperopolis Armory Hall Association for 800 dollars in gold and was used for Congregational and Methodist Church services, public meetings, balls and rallies.
The property was purchased by the Mineral Lodge, I.O.O.F. in 1874 and used as a lodge until 1903. Copperopolis Community Center purchased the Armory in 1948.
 
Erected 1997 by The Efforts of Charles and Rhoda Stone and Dedicated by the N.D.G.W., Princess Parlor No.84, June 28, 1998.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West marker series.
 
Location. 37° 58.552′ N, 120° 38.141′ W. Marker is in Copperopolis, California, in Calaveras County. Marker is on Main Street, on the left when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is mounted on the front of the building. Marker is at or near this postal address: 695 Main Street, Copperopolis CA 95228, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Copperopolis Historical Plaza (within shouting distance of this marker); The Old Corner Saloon (approx.
Copperopolis Armory image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, August 23, 2006
2. Copperopolis Armory
Marker is mounted on the far left of the front of the building.
0.2 miles away); Copperopolis (approx. 0.2 miles away); Calaveras Telephone (approx. 0.2 miles away); Thomas McCarty (approx. 0.3 miles away); Copperopolis Cemetery (approx. 0.3 miles away); Congregational Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); a different marker also named Copperopolis (approx. 0.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Copperopolis.
 
Regarding Copperopolis Armory. This property was listed on the National Register of Historic Places December 30, 1997.
 
Also see . . .  The California State Military Museum: Federal Armory. (Submitted on October 26, 2008, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.)
 
Additional comments.
1. News Account from The Stockton Independent: October 20, 1862
FROM COPPEROPOLIS, Oct. 20th -- In pursuance of an order of General DOBBIE, the 3rd Brigade of this State will meet here for military parade tomorrow and continue until Wednesday night. The parade ground has been put in excellent order.
Historic Copperopolis Armory image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, August 23, 2006
3. Historic Copperopolis Armory
Training Center for Copperopolis Union Guard - 3rd Brigade. Records show 18 men enlisted in the Union Forces giving Copperopolis as their home. Muster of Sept. 10, 1864 names 71 men and 13 officers in the Guard Unit.
Our streets are already thronged with strangers. Among the arrivals of today are Gen. KIBBE, Gen. DOBBIE and his Staff, consisting of Wm. A. DAVIES, Adjutant; Capt. SMITH, Aid-de-Camp; John SEDGWICK, Quartermaster; George E. DREW, Ordnance Officer; G.R. CHOATE, Commissary; T.J. MATTESON, Inspector; Dr. JONES, Surgeon; H.B. McNEIL, Judge Advocate; P.W. SCRIBNER, Paymaster; E.A. SHERMAN, Engineer; and the Stockton Union Guard, Capt. GILMORE, 36 members; the Union Guard, Campo Seco, Capt. DAVIS, 32 members; the Franklin Guard, Knight's Ferry, Capt. BRYANT, 36 members, and the Stockton Light Dragoons, Capt. BROWN, 34 members. The Tuolumne Home Guard, Columbia, 56 members, Capt. HOOKER, are encamped at CAMPBELL's ranch, 3 miles from town. 3 other Companies are expected early tomorrow. The 3rd Brigade Band, 13 in number, are also here in elegant uniform. The Stockton Light Dragoons arrived after dark and went through with several evolutions on the Plaza by "gas-light."
    — Submitted October 26, 2008, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.

 
Categories. 20th CenturyChurches, Etc.Fraternal or Sororal OrganizationsIndustry & CommerceMilitaryNatural ResourcesSettlements & SettlersWar, US Civil
 
Cannon on Display at Copperopolis Elementary School image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, June 7, 2009
4. Cannon on Display at Copperopolis Elementary School
Plaque mounted on cannon base states:
Six pound cannon cast by Cyruss Alger & Co.in 1837. Probably came from an abandoned ship in San Francisco. Presented to the Union Guard by citizens of Copperopolis. Fired at funerals and on holidays until the early 1900's.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 1,997 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.   4. submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement