Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Milledgeville in Baldwin County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Milledgeville State Hospital

 
 
Milledgeville State Hospital Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, February 19, 2005
1. Milledgeville State Hospital Marker
Inscription. In 1837, largely through the influence of Tomlinson Fort and William A. White, the legislature appropriated $20,000 for a dormitory near Milledgeville where the states mentally ill could receive custodial care. A four-story building was opened on this site in 1842 and together with various later additions became known as the Center Building. Originally serving only pauper patients, services were expanded for all bona fide citizens. Dr. David M. Cooper (serving 1843-1846) was the first Superintendent and was followed by Dr. Thomas F. Green (1847- 1879) and Theophilus O. Powell (1879- 1907).
 
Erected 1961 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 005-24.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
 
Location. 33° 3.098′ N, 83° 13.328′ W. Marker is in Milledgeville, Georgia, in Baldwin County. Marker is at the intersection of Broad Street and the unnamed hospitalentrance drive, on the right when traveling east on Broad Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Milledgeville GA 31061, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fort Wilkinson (approx. 0.7 miles away); Cedar Lane Cemetery
Center Building, Milledgeville State Hospital image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, February 19, 2005
2. Center Building, Milledgeville State Hospital
(approx. 0.8 miles away); Old Fort Wilkinson (approx. 0.8 miles away); Old Oglethorpe University (approx. 1.4 miles away); Carl Vinson Mary Green Vinson (approx. 1.6 miles away); The Methodist Church (approx. 1.6 miles away); Rear Admiral John W. Wilcox (approx. 1.6 miles away); The Unknown Soldiers of Brown Hospital (approx. 1.7 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Milledgeville.
 
Categories. Antebellum South, USCharity & Public WorkGovernmentScience & Medicine
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 2,222 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement