“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Milledgeville in Baldwin County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)

Howell Cobb Plantation

Howell Cobb Plantation Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, February 19, 2005
1. Howell Cobb Plantation Marker
Inscription. Site of the large Baldwin County plantation of Howell Cobb, one of the 'Great Georgia Triumvirate' of Stephens, Toombs and Cobb, and his wife, the former Mary Ann Lamar. Born at Cherry Hill in Jefferson County, Georgia Sept. 7, 1815, he graduated cum laude from the University of Georgia in 1834, was admitted to the Bar in 1836, and then began the distinguished career that was to make him one of Georgia's most illustrious sons. Solicitor General, 1837; Member of Congress, 1842 (four terms); Speaker of the House, 1849; Governor of Georgia, 1851; returned to Congress, 1854; Secretary of the Treasury, 1857.

A Jacksonian Democrat, opposed to nullification and secession, his aid to the 'Constitutional Union' party, formed in Georgia by Stephens and Toombs (both Whigs) to support the Compromise of 1850, made him many enemies in the South; but despite his love for the Union, when Georgia seceded he bowed loyally to her choice and became a great leader in the Confederacy. He was President of the Secession Convention in 1861, Colonel of the 16th Georgia Volunteer Infantry, and Major General Confederate States Army.

On the night of Nov. 22, 1864, on his March to the Sea, Maj. Gen. W.T. Sherman, USA, camped here. Upon learning from slaves the ownership of this plantation, he ordered its total destruction which, except for the slaves' quarters, was accomplished that night by the 23rd Missouri Veteran Volunteer Infantry.
Erected 1993 by Georgia Department of Natural Resources. (Marker Number 005-17.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission, and the Shermans March to the Sea marker series.
Location. 33° 7.261′ N, 83° 23.075′ W. Marker is near Milledgeville, Georgia, in Baldwin County. Marker is at the intersection of Old Monticello Road NW and Nelson Road, on the right when traveling west on Old Monticello Road NW. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Milledgeville GA 31061, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Cobb's Quarter, Sherman's Campsite (here, next to this marker); Blountsville (approx. 5.7 miles away); a different marker also named Blountsville (approx. 5.7 miles away); Flannery O'Connor's Andalusia Farm (approx. 7 miles away); Junction of 20th and 14th Corps (approx. 7.1 miles away); Brown-Stetson-Sanford House (approx. 9.1 miles away); Route of the Twentieth Corps (approx. 9.2 miles away); The March to the Sea (approx. 9.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Milledgeville.
Regarding Howell Cobb Plantation. For more on Howell Cobb, see
Also see . . .  Howell Cobb. Biography of Cobb. (Submitted on October 31, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.) 
Categories. Antebellum South, USWar, US Civil
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 2,933 times since then and 136 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide shot of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement