Inscription. Three hundred yards east of this point stood Ft. Wilkinson, established in 1797 on Georgia's Indian boundary. Garrisoned by soldiers whose families lived outside the stockade, it was an early trading house where Creek Indians were provided agricultural
supplies under the Treaty of New York (1790). Here occurred in 1802 the treaty which extinguished Indian titles to land westward to Commissioner’s Creek, which area was in the first Georgia land lottery in 1805. In 1807, the garrison was moved to Ft. Hawkins on the Ocmulgee River. following the expanding perimeter of Indian land cessions.
By David Seibert, February 19, 2005
|1. Fort Wilkinson Marker|
Erected 1961 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 005-23.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 33° 2.706′ N, 83° 12.741′ W. Marker is in Milledgeville, Georgia, in Baldwin County. Marker is at the intersection of Carl Vinson Highway (Georgia Route 112) and Fort Wilkinson Road, on the left when traveling south on Carl Vinson Highway. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Milledgeville GA 31061, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, as the crow flies. Old Fort Wilkinson (about 700 feet away, in a direct line); Cedar Lane Cemetery (approx. 0.6 miles away); Milledgeville State Hospital (approx. 0.7 miles away); Route of Gen. Kilpatrick’s Cavalry (approx. 1.9 miles away); Old Oglethorpe University (approx. 2.1 miles away); Carl Vinson • Mary Green Vinson (approx. 2.2 miles away); Rear Admiral John W. Wilcox (approx. 2.3 miles away); The Methodist Church (approx. 2.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Milledgeville.
Also see . . . The complete text of the Treaty of Fort Wilkinson. (Submitted on October 31, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.)
Credits. This page originally submitted on October 30, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 2,468 times since then. Photo 1. submitted on October 30, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
|Recommend or Share This Page. |