Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Springfield in Clark County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Pennsylvania House / The National Road

 
 
Pennsylvania House Marker (side A) image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., October 28, 2008
1. Pennsylvania House Marker (side A)
Inscription.
Pennsylvania House
David Snively built the Federal-style Pennsylvania House in 1839 along the newly constructed National Road. This tavern and inn was an important stopover for livestock drovers and pioneers traveling by foot, on horseback, or in Conestoga wagons during the westward expansion of the United States in the nineteenth century. Dr. Isaac K. Funk, of Funk & Wagnalls fame, lived in the house in the 1840s while his father served as its tavern keeper. Closed as an inn after the Civil War, it then served as a doctor's clinic, boarding house, and secondhand shop before falling into total disrepair. The Lagonda Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution saved it from demolition and has owned and operated it as a museum since 1941. The Pennsylvania House was put on the National Register of Historic Places in 1972.

The National Road
Authorized by Congress in 1806, the National Road was the nation's first federally funded interstate highway. National leaders desired an all-weather road across the Allegheny Mountains in order to develop closer political and economic ties between the east and west. Considered to be a significant engineering feat, the Road opened Ohio and much of the Old Northwest Territory to settlement, provided access for Ohio goods to reach eastern
The National Road Marker (side B) image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., October 28, 2008
2. The National Road Marker (side B)
markets, and enabled Ohio citizens to play important roles in the affairs of the new nation. The National Road was renowned for the number of quality inns and taverns during the heyday of the stagecoach. The Road declined after 1850 as railroads became the preferred method of travel. The automobile, however, brought new life to the Road. Reborn as U.S. 40, it became a busy twenty-four-hour-a-day artery, with truck stops, motor courts, and diners until superseded by the interstate highways in the 1960s.
 
Erected 2006 by The Lagonda Chapter DAR and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 4-12.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution, the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection, and the The Historic National Road marker series.
 
Location. 39° 55.543′ N, 83° 49.963′ W. Marker is in Springfield, Ohio, in Clark County. Marker is on Main Street (U.S. 40), on the left when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1311 West Main Street, Springfield OH 45504, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Snyder Park (approx. half a mile away); Davey Moore Park (approx. 0.7 miles away); The National Road (approx.
Pennsylvania House / The National Road Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., October 28, 2008
3. Pennsylvania House / The National Road Marker
0.8 miles away); Madonna of the Trail (approx. 0.8 miles away); Clark County Memorial (approx. 0.9 miles away); Clark County Revolutionary War Memorial (approx. 0.9 miles away); Oliver Smith Kelly (approx. 0.9 miles away); John Ludlow (approx. one mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Springfield.
 
Also see . . .  The Pennsylvania House. Information about the Pennsylvania House, hosted by the Greater Springfield Convention & Visitors Bureau. (Submitted on May 29, 2009.) 
 
Categories. Fraternal or Sororal OrganizationsGovernmentNotable BuildingsRoads & VehiclesSettlements & Settlers
 
National Road Mileage Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., October 28, 2008
4. National Road Mileage Marker
Pennsylvania House Sign image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., October 28, 2008
5. Pennsylvania House Sign
The Pennsylvania House is now a Historic National Road Museum.
Time Capsule Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., October 28, 2008
6. Time Capsule Marker
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 2,145 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement