New York in New York County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Plaque provided by the New York Community Trust, 1976
Erected 1976 by New York Community Trust.
Location. 40° 42.205′ N, 74° 0.685′ W. Marker is in New York, New York, in New York County. Marker is at the intersection of Broad Street and Pearl Street, on the right when traveling north on Broad Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 54 Pearl Street, New York NY 10004, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fraunces Tavern Tallmadge Memorial (here, next to this marker); Fraunces Tavern Block Historic District (a few steps from this marker); Stadt Huys (City Hall) First Church on Manhattan Island (within shouting distance of this marker); Dutch Hoog Straat (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Vietnam War Veterans Memorial / Dutch City Hall Site (about 300 feet away); Stone Street Historic District and Colonial New York Street Plan (about 300 feet away); First Printing Press in the Colony of New York (about 400 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in New York.
More about this marker. Two additional Revolutionary War Heritage Trail markers are located just inside the doorway to Fraunces Tavern's resturant. The top one has the text "This Tavern, operated by Samuel Fraunces, was a center of political activity. General Washington said farewell to his Continental Army officers at this site."
The other contains the text "Fraunces Tavern is a survivor of the early days of New York City. Built in 1719 as an elegant residence for the Delancey family, the home was purchased in 1762 by Samuel Fraunces, who turned it into one of the most popular taverns of the day. Though it is best known as the site where Washington
During the 1770’s the tavern was the home of a number of prominent organizations, including the New York City Chamber of Commerce, the Sons of Liberty and the New York Provincial Congress. After the war, when New York was the nation’s first capital, the tavern housed the offices of the Departments of Treasury, War (today’s Defense Department), and Foreign Affairs (today’s State Department).
In 1904, the Sons of the Revolution in the State of New York purchased the tavern and restored the building to its colonial appearance. Fraunces Tavern Museum opened to the public in 1907. Today, the museum complex includes four 19th century buildings in addition to the 18th-century Fraunces Tavern."
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. It is the Fraunces Tavern marker in Philadelphia.
Also see . . .
1. Fraunces Tavern Museum. (Submitted on November 5, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
2. Fraunces Tavern - Hangout of Sons Of Liberty; Hosted Washington, Several Cabinet Departments. New York Freedom Trail website. (Submitted on November 5, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
3. The Trust's "Landmarks of New York". A long-time crusader for preservation, the Municipal Art Society joined with The Trust in 1956 to begin the “Landmarks of New York” project. (Submitted on October 27, 2009.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • Notable Buildings • Notable Events • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,219 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. 8, 9. submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. 10. submitted on , by R. C. of Shrewsbury, New Jersey. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.