Near Columbia City in Whitley County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Eel River Battleﬁeld
War of 1812
Erected 2001 by Installed 2001 Indiana Historical Bureau and Youth of First Presbyterian Church. (Marker Number 92.2001.1.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Indian Wars Battlefield Trails, and the Indiana State Historical Bureau Markers marker series.
Location. 41° 8.318′ N, 85° 27.412′ W. Marker is near Columbia City, Indiana, in Whitley County. Marker is on Paige Road near Raber Road. Click for map. It is at the junction of S. Raber, E. Mowrey & Paige Roads at the Eel River bridge, NE corner along Paige Road, 2.8 miles SE of Whitley County Courthouse, Columbia City. Marker is in this post office area: Columbia City IN 46725, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are Whitley County Viet Nam Memorial (approx. 1.6 miles away); The Island (approx. 1.6 miles away); Whitley County Jail (approx. 2 miles away); Whitley County (approx. 2.1 miles away); Whitley County Korean War Memorial (approx. 2.1 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Columbia City.
Also see . . .
1. Genealogical Society of Whitley County. The Genealogical Society of Whitley County has posted a number of photographs of the dedication of this marker on this page. Scroll down a ways to get to them. Also included is very interesting background on the history sumarized on this marker.
2. The Eel River of Northern Indiana. Monograph by Jay A. Taylor presented September ll, 2000 at a meeting of the Historical Society North Manchester, Indiana.
3. Eel River (Wabash River). This is a link to information provided by Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
Categories. • Native Americans • War of 1812 •
Credits. This page originally submitted on June 26, 2007, by Christopher Light of Valparaiso, Indiana. This page has been viewed 4,576 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 26, 2007, by Christopher Light of Valparaiso, Indiana. 4, 5, 6. submitted on February 20, 2012, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.