Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Loundonville in Ashland County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Charles Franklin Kettering

 
 
Charles Franklin Kettering Marker image. Click for full size.
By Christopher Light, June 24, 2007
1. Charles Franklin Kettering Marker
Inscription. A pioneer in automotive innovation. Charles Franklin Kettering (1876-1958) was born three miles north of Loudonville. He attended local schools and graduated from Ohio State University in 1904. He organizaed the Dayton Engineering Laboratories Company (Delco) in 1909, which later became a part of General Motors (GM). “Boss Ket” served as vice-president of research for GM until 1920 and held over 140 patents (including four-wheel brakes, safety glass, and ‘ethyl’ gasoline), achieving his greatest fame for the all-elecric starting, lighting, and ignition system. The electric starter debuted on the 1912 Cadillac and was soon available on all cars, helping to popularize them with women. In 1945 he helped establish the Sloan-Kettering Cancer Research Institute in New York.
 
Erected 2001 by The Ohio Bicentennial Commission, The Longaberger Company, Ashland City-County Council, the Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 3-3.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
 
Location. 40° 38.129′ N, 82° 13.967′ W. Marker is in Loundonville, Ohio, in Ashland County. Marker is at the intersection of East Main Street and
Charles Franklin Kettering Marker image. Click for full size.
By Christopher Light, June 24, 2007
2. Charles Franklin Kettering Marker
South Pleasant Street on East Main Street. Click for map. Located across the street (west) of the public library in the town's park. Marker is in this post office area: Loudonville OH 44842, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Clear Fork Gorge (approx. 3.3 miles away); Greenville Treaty Line (approx. 5 miles away); Johnny “Appleseed” Land Lease and Nursery (approx. 5.1 miles away); Greene Ville Treaty Line (approx. 5.5 miles away); Greentown Delaware Village (approx. 6.1 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  Charles F. Kettering - Ohio History Central. (Submitted on March 31, 2009, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio.)
 
Categories. Notable PersonsRoads & Vehicles
 
Fountain image. Click for full size.
By Christopher Light, June 24, 2007
3. Fountain
First Baptist Church Southwest of the Marker image. Click for full size.
By Christopher Light, June 24, 2007
4. First Baptist Church Southwest of the Marker
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Christopher Light of Valparaiso, Indiana. This page has been viewed 2,319 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Christopher Light of Valparaiso, Indiana. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement