St. Simons Island in Glynn County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
In 1794 Live Oak timbers were cut on St.Simons, loaded from this bluff and sent to Boston to be used in the construction of the Frigate Constitution, better known as " Old Ironsides"......
Location. 31° 9.946′ N, 81° 24.591′ W. Marker is in St. Simons Island, Georgia, in Glynn County. Marker is on Demere Rd, on the right when traveling east. Click for map. at the Park; Island side of F J Torras Causeway, between Demere Rd and King's Way. Marker is in this post office area: Saint Simons Island GA 31522, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Gascoigne Bluff (a few steps from this marker); Hamilton Plantation (approx. 0.3 miles away); a different marker also named Gascoigne Bluff (approx. 0.3 miles away); Cassina Garden Club Houses (approx. 0.4 miles away); A Man Named Wesley Passed This Way / Lovely Lane Chapel (approx. half a mile away); Epworth By The Sea / Epworth Pioneers A Mission By The Sea / Susannah Wesley (approx. half a mile away); Lovely Lane Chapel (approx. half a mile away). Click for a list of all markers in St. Simons Island.
Also see . . .
1. Gascoigne Bluff By Margaret Davis Cate. A story of Gascoigne Bluff (Submitted on November 8, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
2. Capt. James Gascoigne. Glynn County article (Submitted on November 8, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 698 times since then and 59 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.