Apalachee in Morgan County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
The name Apalachee is derived from the Indian Tribe that was part of the Creek Confederation, though there is no evidence that this tribe had ever settled in this area. The town of Apalachee was incorporated by the Georgia Legislature in 1907. However, this community has roots that are much older. The area around Apalachee was settled prior to 1820 and is considered to be one of the oldest communities in Morgan County. The community of Dogsborough predates the formal incorporation of Apalachee, and was the site of an early post office and dry goods store. Additionally, references to the community of Shields and Hulletto identify their locations in proximity to Apalachee along the railroad.
The Apalachee community has also been referred to as Florence. The Central Railroad came through Apalachee, the station was name Florence Depot in honor of local citizen; however, by the time of incorporation, the name "Apalachee" had been chosen. Subsequent references to the post office location, schools, churches and civic organizations identify this area with the name Apalachee. The railroad brought commercial development, including three general merchandise stores, a cotton gin, a cotton oil refinery,
Though no longer incorporated, because of the Individuals who took pride in this community, Apalachee is recognized as a significant part of our county history.
Erected 2008 by Morgan County.
Location. 33° 41.374′ N, 83° 26.144′ W. Marker is in Apalachee, Georgia, in Morgan County. Marker is on Lower Apalachee Road 0 miles east of Shockley Road, on the right when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is located in front of the restored old school building. Marker is in this post office area: Madison GA 30650, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Flat Rock (approx. 3.7 miles away); Mallory (approx. 3.7 miles away); Bostwick (approx. 5.6 miles away); Vernacular Construction (approx. 6.6 miles away); The Town Park (approx. 6.7 miles away); Railroad Street Commerce (approx. 6.7 miles away); Lodging Establishments (approx. 6.7 miles away); Industrial Corridor (approx. 6.7 miles away).
Categories. • Antebellum South, US • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,026 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.