Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
McConnelsville in Morgan County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

First Presbyterian Church

 
 
First Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., November 2, 2008
1. First Presbyterian Church Marker
Inscription. Many early settlers of Morgan County were of Scot-Irish heritage and brought the Presbyterian faith with them. From this group Reverend John Hunt and twelve charter members organized the first congregation in McConnelsville and Malta in 1824 and third oldest congregation in Morgan County. The congregation built a brick church in 1832 at a cost of $2,361. Known for its excellent acoustics and fine music, the building received the first pump organ in the two villages in 1849. In 1916 the church was stuccoed and added a Sunday school and vestibule. The original bell was sold to the steamboat H.D. Munson in 1865, and the present bell came from the Bristol Presbyterian Church. Because of its large seating capacity, the church was also used for civic functions, including an early court trial. Over the years, members have included General Robert McConnell, founder of McConnelsville, Henry Dawes, uncle of Vice-President Charles Dawes, and Frances Dana Gage, early women's rights leader.
 
Erected 2004 by First Presbyterian Church and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 16-58.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
 
Location. 39° 38.987′ 
First Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., November 2, 2008
2. First Presbyterian Church Marker
N, 81° 51.053′ W. Marker is in McConnelsville, Ohio, in Morgan County. Marker is at the intersection of Liberty Street and 8th Street, on the left when traveling east on Liberty Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: McConnelsville OH 43756, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Purple Heart Memorial (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Carlos M. Riecker Complex (about 300 feet away); Evelyn True Button House (about 500 feet away); Congressional Medal of Honor Recipients (about 700 feet away); Morgan County (about 700 feet away); Lelia Morris & Trinity Methodist Episcopal Church (about 700 feet away); First McConnelsville Christmas Tree (about 800 feet away); Frances Dana Gage / Mount Airy Mansion (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in McConnelsville.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.Notable BuildingsNotable Persons
 
First Presbyterian Church Marker and Bell Tower image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., November 2, 2008
3. First Presbyterian Church Marker and Bell Tower
Bell Tower Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., November 2, 2008
4. Bell Tower Marker
First Presbyterian Church Building Construction Date image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., November 2, 2008
5. First Presbyterian Church Building Construction Date
Bell Tower Dedication Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., November 2, 2008
6. Bell Tower Dedication Marker
In dedication, memory & honor of the members of the Bristol Presbyterian Church. Bell purchased & installed in 1913 by George Henderson.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 789 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement