St. Simons Island in Glynn County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Historic St. Simons Lighthouse
104 ft. 81°12'06"W 31°08'00"N
[ Globe Emblem ]
" The axis of the earth
sticks out visibly through
the centre of each and
every town or city."
Oliver Wendell Holmes
Location. 31° 8.045′ N, 81° 23.616′ W. Marker is in St. Simons Island, Georgia, in Glynn County. Marker is on 12th Street, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Located on the southern tip of St Simons Island, marking the entrance into St Simons Sound. Marker is at or near this postal address: 101 12th Street, Saint Simons Island GA 31522, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fort St. Simons (a few steps from this marker); Early History of St. Simons Island (a few steps from this marker); The First Light House ~ 1810 (a few steps from this marker); The Historic St. Simons Light Station (a few steps from this marker); Couper's Point (a few steps from this marker); Keepers of the Light (within shouting distance of this marker); North Atlantic Right Whale (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Old Spanish Garden (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in St. Simons Island.
Regarding Historic St. Simons Lighthouse.
Also see . . .
1. St. Simons Lighthouse. (Submitted on November 9, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
2. The Ghost of the St. Simons Lighthouse, by Dale Cox. The St. Simons Island Lighthouse has stood on the Georgia coast since 1872 when it was constructed by the U.S. government to replace one destroyed during the Civil War. Only eight years later, however, a violent episode occurred here that is reverberated through the years and developed into one of the South’s most well-known ghost stories. (Submitted on January 21, 2013, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
1. National Register of Historic Places:
The original St. Simons Island lighthouse was built in 1810, which was a 75-foot-tall (23 m) early federal
The U.S. government constructed a new lighthouse to replace the original, building it to the west of the original's location. It is a 104-foot (32 m) brick structure completed in 1872 and was outfitted with a third-order, biconvex Fresnel lens. The lens is one of only 70 such lenses that remain operational in the United States. Sixteen of those are in use on the Great Lakes of which eight are in Michigan. The rotating lens projects four beams of light, with one strong flash every 60 seconds. A cast iron spiral stairway with 129 steps leads to the galley. In 1876 the lighthouse was overhauled. In 1934 the kerosene-burning lamp was replaced by a 1000-watt electrical light. In 1939 the lighthouse was placed under the jurisdiction of the US Coast Guard. About 1953 the lighthouse was fully automated. The tower underwent restoration in 1989-91 and again in 1997-98. In 2004, ownership of the lighthouse was transferred to the Coastal Georgia Historical Society under the National Historic Lighthouse Preservation
The two-story Victorian light keeper's residence, located at the base of the lighthouse, has been converted into a museum. For a fee, the public can tour the museum, and climb to the top of the lighthouse for a view of St. Simons Sound and the surrounding area.
The St. Simons Lighthouse, along with the northernmost water tower on Jekyll Island, creates the demarcation
line that separates St. Simons Sound from the Atlantic Ocean.
The lighthouse is a picturesque and beloved symbol of St. Simons Island, and Glynn County, GA. It is the subject of many paintings and other artistic renderings.
— Submitted January 31, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.
Categories. • Landmarks • Notable Buildings • Notable Places • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,062 times since then and 71 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.