“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Hiram in Paulding County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)

The Hiram Rosenwald School

The Hiram Rosenwald School Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, July 30, 2006
1. The Hiram Rosenwald School Marker
Inscription. In 1912 Julius Rosenwald, President of Sears, Roebuck and Company, established the Rosenwald Fund to assist in community school construction of public schools for African-American students in the South. The Julius Rosenwald Fund assisted local communities who raised additional funds. By the 1930's one in every five rural southern schools for blacks had been constructed with aid from the Rosenwald Fund, a total of nearly five thousand schools throughout the South. The Hiram Rosenwald school opened in 1930 as the Hiram Colored School. It was the only Rosenwald school in Paulding County and, at that time, the only African-American school with a library in the county. The school operated from 1930 until 1955.
Erected 2005 by Georgia Historical Society, U.N.I.T.E., and the Hiram Rosenwald School Preservation. (Marker Number 110-1.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission, and the Rosenwald Schools marker series.
Location. 33° 52.812′ N, 84° 45.624′ W. Marker is in Hiram, Georgia, in Paulding County. Marker is on Hiram Douglasville Highway (Georgia Route 92) 0 miles south of Alexander Street, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Hiram GA 30141, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Henry Lester House (approx. 0.8 miles away); George Darby House Cleburnes Hdqrs. (approx. 1.8 miles away); Site: Colley House Hoods Hdqrs (approx. 2.1 miles away); Polks Corps at Dallas and New Hope Church (approx. 2.3 miles away); Site: Robertson House (approx. 2.3 miles away); Hardee's Corps at Powder Springs (approx. 3.6 miles away); Confederate Line (approx. 4.1 miles away); Rt. of Federal Line May 26 -June 1, 1864 (approx. 4.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Hiram.
Also see . . .  Rosenwald Schools. For more on Julius Rosenwald and the Rosenwald Schools in Georgia. The Hiram Colored School was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2001. (Submitted on November 29, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.) 
Categories. 20th CenturyAfrican AmericansEducation
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,137 times since then and 67 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide shot of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement