Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Christiana in New Castle County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Old Fort Union American Methodist Episcopal Church

 
 
Old Fort Union American Methodist Episcopal Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Pfingsten, November 6, 2008
1. Old Fort Union American Methodist Episcopal Church Marker
Inscription. In 1813 a group of African-American Methodists led by Peter Spencer formed an independent denomination that came to be known as the African Union Church. It was the first incorporated religious body in the United States controlled entirely by African Americans. Early meetings of the Christiana Bridge congregation were likely held at private residences until 1850, when a brick structure was built for worship. In 1854 the group was formally incorporated as the African Union Church of Christiana Bridge. Shortly thereafter, a denomination leadership dispute resulted in the separation of some member churches. The Christiana Bridge congregation followed leaders into a new denomination, and in 1868 they were formally incorporated as the Union American Church of Christiana. In the late 19th century the existing house of worship was moved from its original location. The congregation disassembled the structure and rebuilt it on property purchased from Louis Taylor. In 1898, the church was re-incorporated as the Union American Methodist Episcopal Church of Christiana. When the mortgage was burned, "old Fort" was added to the church name to commemorate the faithfulness of the congregation. In 1983 Old Fort UAME was added to the National Register of Historic Places as part of the White Clay Creek Hundred Multiple Resource Area.
 
Erected
Old Fort Union American Methodist Episcopal Church image. Click for full size.
By Bill Pfingsten, November 6, 2008
2. Old Fort Union American Methodist Episcopal Church
2008 by Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number NC-184.)
 
Location. 39° 40.071′ N, 75° 39.543′ W. Marker is in Christiana, Delaware, in New Castle County. Marker is at the intersection of N. Old Baltimore Pike and Bayard Street, on the left on N. Old Baltimore Pike. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Newark DE 19713, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Christiana Public School #111-C (within shouting distance of this marker); Christiana Presbyterian Church (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Christiana United Methodist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Samuel Patterson (approx. 0.3 miles away); Talbot's Fort (approx. 0.4 miles away); Purple Heart Trail in Delaware (approx. 1.7 miles away); Hale-Byrnes House (approx. 2.4 miles away); Buena Vista (approx. 2.5 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Christiana.
 
Categories. African AmericansChurches, Etc.Notable Persons
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 2,064 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement