Westminster in Carroll County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
A U.S. Flag Goes South
After the cavalry engagement that ensued in Westminster’s streets with the 1st Delaware Cavalry, Gen. J.E.B. Stuart learned of the flag and its location from Southern sympathizers. His interest piqued, he ordered Capt. John Esten Cooke, the noted author, to remove the flag from the vault. Cooke later wrote that he “got a candle and axe, broke open vault of Clerks office by hewing out bricks from the iron staple of lock, and I grabbed the flag…which has been sent to Richmond.”
Efforts to have this spoil of war returned to Westminster began after the war and continued into the 20th century, but to no avail.
(Sidebar): Among the shattered equipment from the
Erected by Maryland Civil War Trails.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Maryland Civil War Trails marker series.
Location. 39° 34.262′ N, 76° 59.339′ W. Marker is in Westminster, Maryland, in Carroll County. Marker can be reached from North Court Street. Click for map. Marker in on the grounds of the Old Carroll County Courthouse. Marker is in this post office area: Westminster MD 21157, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Army of the Potomac (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named Army of the Potomac (a few steps from this marker); Aftermath of Battle Corbit's Charge (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Gettysburg Campaign (about 600 feet away); Westminster (approx. 0.2 miles away); The First Complete County Rural Free Delivery Service (approx. 0.3 miles away); a different marker also named Corbit’s Charge (approx. 0.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Westminster.
More about this marker. On the left side of the marker is a sketch and an inset photo captioned Carroll County Courthouse. The Greek Revival-style courthouse was designed about 1837 by Col. James M. Shellman, Westminster's first mayor. Inset: Mollie and Abraham Huber with their daughter, Margaret, 1865. Abraham Huber, Clerk of the Court for Carroll County, attempted to protect the Courthouse flag sewn by his wife, Mollie, and other local women, by securing it in the Courthouse vault.
On the upper right of the sidebar is a photo of the Gettysburg Gun referred to in the sidebar.
Also see . . . The Gettysburg Gun. (Submitted on November 25, 2008.)
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on . This page has been viewed 1,236 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on . • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.