Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
St. George in Washington County, Utah — The American Mountains (Southwest)
 

Gardenersí Club Hall

 
 
Gardeners' Club Hall Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dawn Bowen, June 21, 2007
1. Gardeners' Club Hall Marker
Inscription. Built just five years after St. George was settled, the Gardenersí Club Hall is considered to be the oldest public building standing in the city. This small, unassuming adobe building predates the courthouse, the Tabernacle and the Temple by several years. Located across the street north and half block west of here, the one-room structure was built in 1867 as the meeting place for the Gardenersí Club, an organization formed to promote the growing of fruit trees, shrubs and flowers.

The Gardenersí Club was organized in 1865, Joseph E. Johnson, the clubís first president, was a powerful force in the development of horticulture and floraculture in Dixie. In his newspaper, “The Pomologist” he passed on to the public his extensive knowledge of horticulture. He also demonstrated that knowledge on his own St. George property, which included must of the block on which the Gardenersí Club Hall and the Brigham Young Home stand. There he created a veritable “Eden” in the desert, cultivating trees, vines, and flowers and operating his nursery business. Through the Gardenerís Club, Joseph Johnson, along with other horticulture experts such as Walter E. Dodge and Luther Hemenway, spearheaded a movement which went forward until the Dixie area abounded in lovely orchards, vineyards, and gardens.

In addition
Gardeners' Hall at 17 E St. George Blvd. image. Click for full size.
By Dawn Bowen, June 21, 2007
2. Gardeners' Hall at 17 E St. George Blvd.
to being a meeting-house and social gathering place, the Gardenersí Club Hall was the site of early horticulture exhibits, displaying the many varieties of fruits, vegetables, and other plants that could be grown in Dixie.
 
Erected 1994 by Sons of Utah Pioneers.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Sons of Utah Pioneers marker series.
 
Location. 37° 6.572′ N, 113° 34.984′ W. Marker is in St. George, Utah, in Washington County. Marker can be reached from St. George Boulevard. Click for map. It is in park next to Zionís Bank. Marker is at or near this postal address: 36 E. St. George Boulevard, Saint George UT 84770, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. St. George Social Hall “Opera House” (here, next to this marker); Brigham Young Home (a few steps from this marker); And the Desert Shall Blossom (a few steps from this marker); Pioneer Courthouse (a few steps from this marker); Erastus Snow's Big House (a few steps from this marker); The Woodward School (a few steps from this marker); Dixie Academy (a few steps from this marker); St. George Temple (within shouting distance of this marker). Click for a list of all markers in St. George.
 
Categories. AgricultureHorticulture & ForestryNotable Buildings
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,348 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement