“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
St. George in Washington County, Utah — The American Mountains (Southwest)

St. George Temple

St. George Temple Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dawn Bowen, June 21, 2007
1. St. George Temple Marker
Inscription. When the Mormon pioneers arrived in Utah, they had left behind 2 temples—one in Kirkland, Ohio, and one in Nauvoo, Illinois. Work began on a temple in Salt Lake City in 1853, but was delayed for various reasons. Desirous of having a temple built in the new Mormon territory before his death, Brigham Young chose St. George as the “site” where the goal could be accomplished. Work on this unique structure, located 3 blocks east and five blocks south of here, began in November 1871. The majestic white landmark was dedicated in April of 1877.

The project was a cooperative effort of all the communities of Southern Utah. Similar to a public works project, it served as employment for people when money and provisions were scarce. Workers (as many as 250 at one time) obtained food for their families in return for their labor. Those living farther away furnished food stuffs and other commodities as their contribution to the project.

Difficulties were encountered throughout the six years of construction. In spite of water and sink holes in gypsum soil, Brigham Young could not be persuaded to change his mind about the site. A major draining system was built and volcanic rock from the Black Ridge to the west was hauled in and tamped deep into the earth with 1,000 pound cannon dropped from a hoist. The buildings
St. George Temple image. Click for full size.
By Dawn Bowen, June 21, 2007
2. St. George Temple
walls are of the same sandstone found in the Tabernacle one block south of here.

When it was built, the temple stood alone, a good distance south of town. It is said that Brigham Young declared the temple would one day stand in the center of the city, that day has long since come.
Erected 1994 by Sons of Utah Pioneers.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Sons of Utah Pioneers marker series.
Location. 37° 6.56′ N, 113° 34.99′ W. Marker is in St. George, Utah, in Washington County. Marker can be reached from St. George Boulevard. Click for map. Marker is in park next to Zion’s bank. Marker is at or near this postal address: 36 E. St. George Boulevard, Saint George UT 84770, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Woodward School (here, next to this marker); Erastus Snow's Big House (here, next to this marker); St. George Tabernacle (a few steps from this marker); Dixie Academy (a few steps from this marker); And the Desert Shall Blossom (a few steps from this marker); Gardeners’ Club Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); St. George Social Hall “Opera House” (within shouting distance of this marker); Brigham Young Home (within shouting distance of this marker). Click for a list of all markers in St. George.
Categories. Churches, Etc.
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,732 times since then and 43 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement