Sacramento in Sacramento County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Erected 1968 by By the California Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with Sutter Parlor No.111, N.D.G.W., Elk Grove Parlor No.41, N.S.G.W., August 10, 1968. (Marker Number 823.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West marker series.
Location. 38° 34.817′ N, 121° 29.068′ W. Marker is in Sacramento, California, in Sacramento County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of H Street and 16th Street. Click for map. GPS Coordinates are of the location of marker prior to removal. Marker is currently propped against the back fence of the property. Ask at Museum/Tour Office to see the marker. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1526 H Street, Sacramento CA 95814, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Blue Diamond Building (approx. 0.4 miles away); El Camino Real Bell (approx. Father Junipero Serra (approx. 0.4 miles away); First United Methodist Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Pioneer Camellia Grove (approx. 0.4 miles away); California Almond Growers Exchange (approx. half a mile away); California Firefighters Memorial (approx. half a mile away); Young America Engine Co. No. 6 (approx. half a mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Sacramento.
Regarding Governorís Mansion. This site has been designated as California Registered Historical Landmark No.823
Also see . . .
1. The Historic Governorís Mansion of California. (Submitted on November 26, 2008, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.)
2. California Governors Who Lived in the Mansion and Milestones During Their Terms in Office. (Submitted on November 26, 2008, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.)
3. AAA VIA Magazine Article – November 2005. (Submitted on November 26, 2008, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.)
4. Bancroft Library Photo Collection – Governorís Mansion – July 24, 1943. (Submitted on November 26, 2008, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.)
1. From the 1978 Tour Brochure
A Brief History
Californiaís Executive Mansion, popularly known as the Governorís Mansion, was built in 1877-78 for Albert Gallatin, President of a pioneer Sacramento hardware firm, [Huntington-Hopkins Hardware, restored building located at Old Sacramento] on land that was once part of the Mexican land grant to John A. Sutter. The structure, built by U.M Reese from the designs of Architect Nethaniel D. Goodell, cost more than $75,000.
In 1887, Gallatin sold the home to Joseph Steffens, drygoods merchant and father of author Lincoln Steffens, and in 1903 the State bought it for $32,500 unfurnished. In selecting the 15-room, 5-bathroom Mansion, the Capital Commissioners were thought to have considered comfort more than style, since the Victorian-Gothic architecture of the home already seemed dated in 1903. A small wing was added and the house refurbished and furnished, bringing the total cost to $56,000. Governor George Pardee became the first resident of the new Governorís Mansion.
Californiaís previous attempts to provide a residence for her chief executive had proved futile. In 1879 a structure, which ultimately housed the State Printing Office and State Armory, had been started near the Capital, but it was never
During its 64 years as the home of 13 Californiaís governors, the Mansion was the scene of four weddings – in 1921 Mrs. Randolph Zane (Barbara Stephens) married John N. Osborn, in 1926 Ruth Richardson Hilby married Warden Frank J. Smith, in 1941 Dorothy Olson married Bruce Benson Whitney, and in 1955 Caroline Knight married Charles Weedman. There was also an assassination attempt, a dynamite explosion which destroyed the kitchen and pantry in 1917. Governor William Stephens and his wife were unharmed by the blast, which was an attributed to the Industrial Workers of the World, or “Wobblies.”
Though the State Fire Marshal had declared the building unsuitable for occupancy in 1941, no alternative official residence was provided, and Governors Warren, Knight, and Brown lived there throughout their terms of office. Governor Earl Warren lived in the Mansion the longest, from 1943 until his appointment to the U.S. Supreme Court in 1953. Governor Ronald Reagan lived in the Mansion during the first part of 1967.
— Submitted November 26, 2008, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.
Additional keywords. architecture
Categories. • 20th Century • Government • Landmarks • Man-Made Features • Notable Buildings • Notable Places • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 5,515 times since then and 150 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. 7. submitted on . This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.