Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
St. George in Washington County, Utah — The American Mountains (Southwest)
 

The Woodward School

 
 
The Woodard School Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dawn Bowen, June 21, 2007
1. The Woodard School Marker
Inscription. When the first settlers arrived in St. George late in 1861, school was held in a wagon box, a tent, a willow shack, or whatever shelter could be improvised. By 1864, the first of four ward houses was completed. It was not until nearly the end of the 1800s that work on a large, substantial school began. Woodward School, located one block south and one block west of here, was completed in 1901.

The school was built on a black volcanic rock foundation, and its walls are of red sandstone from the same quarry that furnished the stone for the Tabernacle. The building, housing twelve classrooms and a basement, cost $35,000 to build. It was paid for principally out of tax revenues, yet as was the case with so many of the early Dixie Projects, it also benefited from the substantial contributions of local citizens. The name Woodward School was given to the building in honor of George Woodward, one of the trustees who had devoted his time and means to make the dream of better education facilities a reality in St. George. It is said that he gave $3,600 of his own money towards its construction- a truly large sum of money for that day.

Since the school opened its doors to students in September of 1901, it has served generation after generation of young learners. Today it remains an imposing, handsome and useable structure-
The Woodward School located 15 S 100 West image. Click for full size.
By Dawn Bowen, June 21, 2007
2. The Woodward School located 15 S 100 West
another example of the early settlers’ ability to build for the future.
 
Erected 1994 by Sons of Utah Pioneers.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Sons of Utah Pioneers marker series.
 
Location. 37° 6.563′ N, 113° 34.988′ W. Marker is in St. George, Utah, in Washington County. Marker can be reached from St. George Boulevard. Click for map. In the park next to Zion's Bank. Marker is at or near this postal address: 36 E. St. George Boulevard, Saint George UT 84770, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Erastus Snow's Big House (here, next to this marker); St. George Temple (here, next to this marker); Dixie Academy (a few steps from this marker); St. George Tabernacle (a few steps from this marker); Gardeners’ Club Hall (a few steps from this marker); And the Desert Shall Blossom (a few steps from this marker); St. George Social Hall “Opera House” (a few steps from this marker); Brigham Young Home (within shouting distance of this marker). Click for a list of all markers in St. George.
 
Categories. Education
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,172 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement