Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Newport News, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Newport News Point

… Named in His Honor

 
 
Newport News Point Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 11, 2008
1. Newport News Point Marker
Inscription. Preface: Newport News was a small community located in Warwick County until late in the 19th century. Established as a town in 1880, it was incorporated as a city in 1896. Warwick County, one of the eight original Virginia shires formed by 1634, became extinct in 1952 when it was designated the city of Warwick. It merged with Newport News in 1958.


In 1606, the Virginia Company of London received a charter from King James I to settle Virginia. The company selected Captain Christopher Newport to command the expedition. For more than fifteen years, Newport had served as a privateer in the Caribbean Sea and the Atlantic Ocean preying on Spanish merchant ships. In 1592, Newport captured one vessel that contained 500 tons of spices and treasure. He even brought back from one of his expeditions two baby crocodiles and a wild boar for James I. Thus, the London Company members were impressed by the English Sea Dog’s reputation.

The expedition sailed from England on December 20, 1606. After long delays and unfavorable winds, the ships Susan Constant, Godspeed, and Discovery arrived off Chesapeake Capes with 143 English settlers. They landed at Cape Henry on April 26, 1607. Several days later the settlers moved inland and explored the surrounding area for water and future habitation. Newport’s party landed
Marker in Christopher Newport Park image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 11, 2008
2. Marker in Christopher Newport Park
Two markers are found at this location in Christopher Newport Park. The "Newport News Point" marker is the one on the right.
near this site, which was later named in his honor. The English continued their journey upriver and established the Jamestown settlement. This area was inhabited later in the seventeenth century and remained agricultural until the industrial growth of the 1880s.
 
Erected 2007 by Newport News Founders’ Trail.
 
Location. 36° 58.668′ N, 76° 26.068′ W. Marker is in Newport News, Virginia. Marker can be reached from West Avenue, on the left when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is in Christopher Newport Park, at the waterfront. Marker is in this post office area: Newport News VA 23607, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Congress – Cumberland (here, next to this marker); Collis Potter Huntington (a few steps from this marker); A Nameless Grave (within shouting distance of this marker); A Great Confederate Naval Victory (within shouting distance of this marker); Newport News (within shouting distance of this marker); Headquarters, Hampton Roads (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Newport News Victory Arch (about 700 feet away); The Victory Arch (about 800 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Newport News.
 
More about this marker. The bottom right of
Newport News Point Markers image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 11, 2008
3. Newport News Point Markers
The waters of the James River and Hampton Roads can be seen in this photo beyond the marker.
the marker contains a picture of “Newport News Point in the antebellum era – Courtesy of the Mariners’ Museum.” The upper right features a painting of Captain Christopher Newport ashore at the point which today bears his name.
 
Also see . . .  Captain Christopher Newport, Admiral of Virginia. (Submitted on November 29, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.)
 
Categories. Colonial Era
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 848 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement