Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Newport News, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Stanley Hundred

A New Settlement

 
 
Stanley Hundred Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 11, 2008
1. Stanley Hundred Marker
Inscription. Preface: Newport News was a small community located in Warwick County until late in the 19th century. Established as a town in 1880, it was incorporated as a city in 1896. Warwick County, one of the eight original Virginia shires formed by 1634, became extinct in 1952 when it was designated the city of Warwick. It merged with Newport News in 1958.


Sir George Yeardley served as governor and captain general of Virginia from 1619 to 1621 and from 1626 to 1627. He had arrived in Virginia aboard the Deliverance from Bermuda in 1610. Yeardley later commanded Forts Charles and Henry before governing the Bermuda Hundred settlement. He also established a plantation at Flowerdew Hundred, then in 1619 returned to England, where he received a knighthood and his commission as governor from King James I. On his return to Virginia, Governor Yeardley called the first legislative assembly in American history at Jamestown. After his term expired, he served as a councilor and led reprisals against the Powhatan Indians after they attacked the colony in 1622. When Governor Sir Francis Wyatt left for England in 1626, Yeardley assumed leadership of the colony. He also claimed 1,000 acres here on Mulberry Island for the transportation of indentured servants.

Yeardley gave the new settlement he established here the name Stanley
Newport News Founders’ Trail Markers image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 11, 2008
2. Newport News Founders’ Trail Markers
Hundred in honor of his wife’s family. The term “hundred” was an English feudal term for a division of land supporting 100 persons, usually 100 acres. The settlers, with an abundance of land and a smaller population, used the term more as a colloquialism. Yeardley wanted a town established on his plantation, but his death in 1627 ended the enterprise. There were sufficient inhabitants, however, to warrant the construction of a church. Yeardley’s widow, Lady Temperance Flowerdew, sold Stanley Hundred to Captain Thomas Flint in 1628. By the 1660s, the Cary family had acquired the tract.
 
Erected 2007 by Newport News Founders’ Trail.
 
Location. 37° 10.657′ N, 76° 34.55′ W. Marker is in Newport News, Virginia. Marker is on Enterprise Drive, on the left when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is located in Skiffes Creek Historic Park. Marker is in this post office area: Newport News VA 23603, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Balthrope (here, next to this marker); Skiffes Creek (a few steps from this marker); Mulberry Point (approx. 0.4 miles away); Fort Eustis (approx. 0.4 miles away); Lee’s Mill Earthworks
Markers in Skiffes Creek Historic Park image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 11, 2008
3. Markers in Skiffes Creek Historic Park
Several markers are located in Skiffes Creek Historic Park, including two Newport News Founders’ Trail markers. The Stanley Hundred marker is the one in the middle.
(approx. 0.9 miles away); Glebe Lands (approx. one mile away); Battle of Lee’s Mill (approx. one mile away); Lee’s Mill (approx. one mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Newport News.
 
More about this marker. The lower left of the marker contains a picture of an “Artist’s conception of Jamestown church in which First Assembly met in 1619. - Courtesy Jamestown Foundation. The bottom right features a picture of “America’s first representative assembly meeting in the church at Jamestown, 1619. - Courtesy Library of Virginia. Also, on the top of the marker is a portrait of Governor Sir Francis Wyatt.
 
Categories. Colonial Era
 
Skiffes Creek Historic Park image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 11, 2008
4. Skiffes Creek Historic Park
Marker is located in Skiffes Creek Historic Park, site of a Civil War fortification.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,734 times since then and 129 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement