St. Simons Island in Glynn County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Cannon's Point Plantation sold 4
acres of land, known as Couper's
Point, to the U.S. Government
for the sum of $1.00. This is
the site where the first St.
Simons Lighthouse, built by
James Gould, was located.
Erected by Eugenia Price.
Location. 31° 8.04′ N, 81° 23.604′ W. Marker is in St. Simons Island, Georgia, in Glynn County. Click for map. A ground marker, located just inside the gate to the grounds. Marker is at or near this postal address: 101 12th Street,, Saint Simons Island GA 31522, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fort St. Simons (a few steps from this marker); Historic St. Simons Lighthouse (a few steps from this marker); Early History of St. Simons Island (a few steps from this marker); The First Light House ~ 1810 (within shouting distance of this marker); The Historic St. Simons Light Station (within shouting distance of this marker); Keepers of the Light (within shouting distance of this marker); North Atlantic Right Whale (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Old Spanish Garden (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in St. Simons Island.
Also see . . . Glynn County: History & Lore: Biographies: John Couper. John Couper (1759-1850) was known as the patriarch of St. Simons Island planters in the early 1800s. (Submitted on December 2, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Landmarks • Man-Made Features • Notable Buildings • Notable Persons • Notable Places • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,020 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.