Near Xenia in Greene County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
In 1854, Samuel and Rebecca McClellan Collins deeded 1.28 acres to Beavercreek Township, Greene County, for the purpose of building a schoolhouse. The first two schoolhouses were constructed of stone with fireplaces for heat. Collins neighborhood children in first through eighth grade were educated in the present red brick building until 1944, when decreased enrollment forced Xenia Township to close the school. Virgil and Helen Bryson Brantley, great-granddaughter of Samuel and Rebecca Collins, purchased the school property in 1982 and began the restoration of the vandalized and deteriorated schoolhouse. The pony/coal shed and privies were rebuilt on their foundations.
The Brantleys enlisted two teachers to research and organize a curriculum of rural education. On August 30, 1986, Collins School was formally “re-dedicated for the purpose of education.” That fall, students from area schools were invited to experience a day of “readiní, ritiní and írithmetic” as it would have taken place in the late 1800s. Each year, nearly 2,400 children and adults enjoy this opportunity led by the Collinsí teachers. The students learn citizenship and history, recite from McGuffey Readers, practice on slates, and play old-fashioned games in the school yard as part
Erected 2003 by Collins School, Inc., and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 11-29.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 39° 45.961′ N, 83° 56.882′ W. Marker is near Xenia, Ohio, in Greene County. Marker is on Enon Road 0.1 miles north of Ohio Route 235, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Collins School is about two miles north of Oldtown. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2810 W. Enon Road, Xenia OH 45385, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Col. Daniel Boone (approx. 2.6 miles away); Old Chillicothe (approx. 2.6 miles away); Site of Old Chillicothe (approx. 2.6 miles away); Ten Kentucky Soldiers Memorial (approx. 2.6 miles away); U Mkvwalamakufewa Tikvmfa / Memorial to Tecumtha (approx. 2.7 miles away); The Bullskin Trail (approx. 2.9 miles away); Kenton's Gantlet [Gauntlet] (approx. 2.9 miles away but has been reported missing); The Sexton Point (approx. 2.9 miles away).
Categories. • Education • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 891 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.