“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Watkinsville in Oconee County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)

Eagle Tavern

Eagle Tavern Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, February 9, 2008
1. Eagle Tavern Marker
Inscription. Eagle Tavern, or Hotel, was the center of social and political life in Watkinsville for more than a hundred years. It was saved from destruction in 1934 by Lanier Richardson Billups of Decatur, Georgia, who deeded it to the State in 1956.
The oldest section of the building, which is of the “Plain Style,” has been restored. It has two rooms upstairs and two rooms downstairs. Separate doors lead into the two rooms on the first floor. One door enters the tavern, the other a store or trading area. This part of the Tavern was built in the first decades of the 1800's when Watkinsville was a growing frontier town, the County Seat of original Clarke County, and the crossroads of travel northward from Madison and Greensboro.
In 1836 Richard C. Richardson bought and, over a period of years, made additions to the original tavern, stage-stop, and store. Having removed these additions, restored the earliest section, and installed appropriate furnishings and exhibits, the Georgia Historical Commission presents Eagle Tavern as a museum devoted to the pre-Civil War, pre-railroad era when wagon and stage travel was at its height.
A Georgia Historical Commission historic site dedicated May 21, 1966.
Erected 1966 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 108-6.)
Marker series.
Eagle Tavern image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, February 9, 2008
2. Eagle Tavern
Marker is at the left; "The Stoneman Raid" Marker is to the right.
This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 33° 51.834′ N, 83° 24.57′ W. Marker is in Watkinsville, Georgia, in Oconee County. Marker is at the intersection of North Main Street (Georgia Route 15) and Third Street North, on the right when traveling north on North Main Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 26 North Main Street, Watkinsville GA 30677, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Stoneman Raid (a few steps from this marker); Oconee County (within shouting distance of this marker); Birthplace of Bishop A. G. Haygood and Miss Laura A. Haygood (approx. 0.4 miles away); Jeannette Rankin's Georgia Home (approx. 2.2 miles away); William Bartram Trail (approx. 3.4 miles away); John Andrew (approx. 4.5 miles away); Elder Mill Covered Bridge (approx. 5 miles away); Chestnut Grove School (approx. 5.1 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Watkinsville.
Categories. Antebellum South, USNotable Buildings
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 840 times since then and 54 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement