HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Port Republic in Rockingham County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Madison Hall
Homesite scene of colonial settlement, Civil War clash
 
Madison Hall Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Linda Walcroft, March 3, 2008
1. Madison Hall Marker
 
Inscription. The crest of the hill was the site of Madison Hall, built in the mid-1700s for John Madison, the first Court Clerk of Augusta County, which originally included this area of Rockingham County within its frontier boundaries. In response to the presence of unfriendly Indians in the area during the French and Indian War, he built a fortified structure on the corner of the property. Madison's son, James, would become president of William and Mary College in 1777 and the first Bishop of the Episcopal Church in Virginia in 1785. John Madison's cousin was the father of another James Madison who would become President of the United States.

In June 1862, Madison Hall had become the home of Dr. George W. Kemper, Sr. and was serving as Confederate general Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson's headquarters. On the morning of June 8, as Jackson prepared for a quiet Sabbath, he was confronted with an emergency. Advance Union raiders had surprised the ill-disciplined Confederate pickets and entered Port. Jackson galloped through the village, pausing at the church on Main Street to admonish one of his staff for cursing. He slipped across the covered bridge on North River with moments to spare, rallied his forces on the far shore, and pushed them into the village to rout the invaders.

As Col. Samuel Sprigg Carroll's Union cavalry charged up Main
 
Madison Hall Marker Photo, Click for full size
By Linda Walcroft, March 3, 2008
2. Madison Hall Marker
House in photo is not the original building.
 
Street, a skirmish developed. Here on the grounds of Madison Hall, two dozen infantrymen and some raw artillery recruits, under the heroic direction of Confederate Capt. Samuel J.C. Moore, made a brief, brave stand that protected the army's valuable wagon trains and herds of cattle spread behind the house. There is no reliable casualty list from the skirmish, but area diaries recall the excitement, pandemonium, and heroics as civilians sought safety and the Yankees were driven from the village.

In June 1864, Madison Hall was occupied by Union general David Hunter and his staff while their squads were detailed to destroy industries in Port Republic. It served as the residence of four generations of the Kemper family until it was sold in 1908.
 
Erected 1999 by Society of Port Republic Preservationists, Inc. in cooperation with Shenandoaha Battlefield National Historic District Commission. Installation by the Port Republic Ruritan Club.
 
Location. 38° 17.64′ N, 78° 49.212′ W. Marker is in Port Republic, Virginia, in Rockingham County. Marker is on Main Street 0.1 miles south of Leroy Road, on the left when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is directly in front of house on hill at 8080 Main Street between Water Street and Leroy Rd. Marker is at or near this postal address: 8080 Main Street, Port Republic VA 24471, United States of America.
 
Madison Hall as shown on the sign Photo, Click for full size
By Linda Walcroft, March 3, 2008
3. Madison Hall as shown on the sign
The marker is worn and faded. A better picture of Madison Hall can be seen on Port Republic's website at http://www.heritagecenter.com/SPRP/history.html.
 

 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Palmer Lot at Middle Ford (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Frank Kemper House (approx. half a mile away but has been reported missing); North River Bridge (approx. 0.6 miles away); Port Republic Battlefield (approx. 2 miles away but has been reported missing); George Caleb Bingham (approx. 2.2 miles away); a different marker also named Port Republic Battlefield (approx. 2.9 miles away but has been reported missing); Port Republic (approx. 2.9 miles away); Battle of Port Republic (approx. 2.9 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Port Republic.
 
More about this marker. No parking is provided. However, the marker is within walking distance of the village of Port Republic, just past the point where Main Street makes a sharp turn and heads northwest.
 
Regarding Madison Hall. Madison Hall no longer exists. Current house on the site was built circa 1916.
 
Additional keywords. Stonewall Jackson, Shenandoah
 
House that replaced Madison Hall around 1916. Photo, Click for full size
By Linda Walcroft, March 3, 2008
4. House that replaced Madison Hall around 1916.
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on March 4, 2008, by Linda Walcroft of Strasburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,456 times since then. Last updated on December 3, 2008, by Linda Walcroft of Strasburg, Virginia. Photos:   1. submitted on March 6, 2008, by Linda Walcroft of Strasburg, Virginia.   2, 3, 4. submitted on March 4, 2008, by Linda Walcroft of Strasburg, Virginia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
 
Recommend or Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 641 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.