“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Watkinsville in Oconee County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)

The Stoneman Raid

The Stoneman Raid Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, February 9, 2008
1. The Stoneman Raid Marker
Inscription. Closing in on Atlanta in July, 1864, Maj. Gen. W.T. Sherman found it “too strong to assault and too extensive to invest.” To force its evacuation, he sent Maj. Gen. Geo. Stoneman's cavalry [US] to cut the railway to Macon by which its defenders [CS] were supplied. Repulsed at Macon, Stoneman's retreat was stopped at Sunshine Church (19 miles NE of Macon) on the 31st by Brig. Gen. Alfred Iverson, Jr., with a smaller force [CS]. Deluded as to Iverson's actual strength, Stoneman covered the escape of Adams' and Capron's brigades, then surrendered the rest of his command.

Both brigades marched toward Eatonton (42 miles S). Separating, they rejoined next day north of Madison (20 miles S). Adams having marched via Eatonton and Madison (where he destroyed valuable property and supplies) and Capron via Rutledge (9 miles W of Madison). Late on August 1st, they camped “twelve miles from the bridge crossing the Oconee river, near Athens.”

Next morning they entered Watkinsville. Hoping to resupply his command at Athens, and to “destroy the armory and other government works” there, Adams advanced to the river bridge (4 miles N). Unable to cross in the face of artillery fire, he turned up the west bank toward Jefferson (26 miles NW). Capron, who had waited near Watkinsville, attempted to follow
The Stoneman Raid Marker at the Eagle Tavern image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, February 9, 2008
2. The Stoneman Raid Marker at the Eagle Tavern
The Stoneman Raid Marker is to the right, with the Eagle Tavern Marker to the left, in front of the Eagle Tavern.
but took the road to Jug Tavern (Winder) instead. Adams reached the Union lines with few losses; but Capron, resting for two hours NW of Winder, was surprised before dawn on August 3rd and lost his entire command.
Erected 1957 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 108-4.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 33° 51.828′ N, 83° 24.564′ W. Marker is in Watkinsville, Georgia, in Oconee County. Marker is at the intersection of North Main Street (Georgia Route 15) and Third Street North, on the right when traveling north on North Main Street. Click for map. The Marker is in front of the Eagle Tavern. Marker is in this post office area: Watkinsville GA 30677, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Eagle Tavern (a few steps from this marker); Oconee County (within shouting distance of this marker); Birthplace of Bishop A. G. Haygood and Miss Laura A. Haygood (approx. 0.4 miles away); Jeannette Rankin's Georgia Home (approx. 2.2 miles away); William Bartram Trail (approx. 3.4 miles away); John Andrew (approx. 4.5 miles away); Elder Mill Covered Bridge (approx. 4.9 miles away); Chestnut Grove School (approx. 5.1 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Watkinsville.
Categories. War, US Civil
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 924 times since then and 88 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement