HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Atlanta in Fulton County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Sandtown
 
Sandtown Marker Photo, Click for full size
By David Seibert, October 26, 2008
1. Sandtown Marker
 
Inscription. Sand Town (Oktahatalofa) and Buzzard Roost (Sulecauga) were two frontier Creek Indian communities here on the Chattahoochee River. The old Sand Town Trail extended westward to the Coosa River in Alabama and eastward into what is now DeKalb County.

The land which is contained in this 14th L.L. District was ceded by the Creek Indians to Georgia in 1821 and was part of originally Fayette (1821-1828), then Campbell (1828-1931), and now Fulton County. On September 2, 1828, a U.S. Post Office was established at this focal point on the old stage route. Joseph H. Coryell was the first settler who on May 1, 1834, purchased the land which was to become Sandtown Plantation.

During the War Between the States this area was defended by the Confederate Cavalry [CS] of Jacksonīs Division. On August 15, 1864, Kilpatrickīs Cavalry of the Federal Army of the Cumberland [US] captured Sandtown and used it as a base for subsequent raids. General Sherman ordered a bridge built across the river at this point and maintained Sandtown as a communications base in the swinging of his Union forces around this S.W. quadrant of Hoodīs defenses to strike at Jonesboro.
 
Erected 1962 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 060-129.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the
 
Sandtown Marker Photo, Click for full size
By David Seibert, October 26, 2008
2. Sandtown Marker
 
Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
 
Location. 33° 43.523′ N, 84° 34.986′ W. Marker is in Atlanta, Georgia, in Fulton County. Marker is at the intersection of Fulton Industrial Boulevard (Georgia Route 70) and Boat Rock Road SW, on the right when traveling south on Fulton Industrial Boulevard. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Atlanta GA 30336, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Dry Pond (approx. 1.8 miles away but has been reported missing); Historic Owl Rock Church (approx. 1.8 miles away); Enroute to Jonesboro (approx. 4.3 miles away); Site: Utoy Post Office (approx. 4.6 miles away); Birthplace of Allison Nelson (approx. 4.7 miles away); Historic Mt. Gilead (approx. 5.5 miles away); Mt. Gilead M. E. Church (approx. 5.5 miles away); Sweet Water Town Site (approx. 5.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Atlanta.
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on December 6, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,022 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 6, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
 
Recommend or Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 195 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.