Inscription. The foundation work on the Salt Lake Temple was nearing completion and soon would be ready for the granite upper walls. The four day trip from the quarry with oxen-drawn wagons could not possibly provide stone as quickly as it was needed. To expedite deliverey and also to reduce the cost by three-fourths, a canal was proposed on which the stones could be delivered on barges. Though conceived as early as 1849 the canal was long in coming and a first venture, a segment began in 1855 from Big Cottonwood Canyon to Red Butte Canyon, was a failure.
A second canal tapping the Jordan River in the narrows, called the Jordan and Salt Lake City Canal, was started in 1864. Its terminus was at the forks of City Creek Canyon Creek, close to the present intersections of State and North Temple Streets.
By Dawn Bowen, June 18, 2007
|1. Jordan & Salt Lake City Canal Marker|
In 1872, the advent of the railroad being extended south out of Salt Lake City into Utah Valley and beyond, together with a spur east out of Sandy into Little Cottonwood Canyon to the granite quarry, provided an easier and still less expensive way of getting stone from the quarry to the temple block. The use of the canal for hauling stone was forgotten; for providing irrigation water it was completed and is still in use today. The canal may still be found open from the point of the mountain to 3300 South and 1300 East Streets. From
there it courses through the city north of 3300 South Street in a four foot diameter culvert under a sidewalk or roadway or snuggled between houses. The culvert is located just west of this monument.
By Dawn Bowen, June 18, 2007
|2. Marker site|
The same culvert now also functions as a storm water overflow for Parleys, Emigration and Red Butte Canyon Creeks. From North Temple and State Street, the water courses west, underground, until it returns to the Jordan River again after its long detour.
Sponsored by the Salt Lake City Public Utilities Dept. in honor of the cityís water pioneers.
Erected 1991 by Sons of Utah Pioneers. (Marker Number 39.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Sons of Utah Pioneers marker series.
Location. 40° 43.521′ N, 111° 51.634′ W. Marker is in Salt Lake City, Utah, in Salt Lake County. Marker is on E 2100 South, on the right when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1100 E 2100 South, Salt Lake City UT 84106, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Old Sugar House (within shouting distance of this marker); Kearns - St. Annís Orphanage (approx. one mile away); Calder's Park (approx. 1.2 miles away); Chase Mill (approx. 1.4 miles away); Pioneer Home (approx. 1.6 miles away); Liberty Park (approx. 1.8 miles away); L.D.S. Tenth Ward Square (approx. 2.5 miles away); Trinity African Methodist Episcopal Church (approx. 2.5 miles away); Legacy of the Black Pioneer (approx. 2.7 miles away); Lone Cedar Tree (approx. 2.7 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Salt Lake City.
Also see . . . The Jordan and Salt Lake City Canal. (Submitted on June 28, 2007, by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia.)
Credits. This page originally submitted on June 28, 2007, by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,080 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 28, 2007, by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.
|Recommend or Share This Page. |