Westland in Wayne County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
In 1839 Wayne County purchased the Black Horse Tavern, a stagecoach stop, Located here on the Chicago road, for use as a poorhouse. Early on the poorhouse accepted not only the county's indigent, but the infirm and mentally ill as well. During the late nineteenth century, the number of residents grew, and new buildings were constructed to meet the demand. In 1894 a post office opened on the grounds with the name Eloise, a name that became synonymous with what developed into a 902-acre, 75 building complex. By the late 1920's Eloise's population had peaked at 10,000 patients and 2000 staff, A city in itself. Eloise had its own farm, cannery, bakery, cemetery, employee housing, police and fire departments, trolly and train stations, and 16 kitchens that served 30,0000 meals daily.
Wayne County's medical complex, "Eloise", was founded as a poorhouse in 1839, it eventually became one of the largest public health-care facilities in the U.S. The most advanced medical and psychiatric treatments were used here. During the twentieth century Eloise physicians pioneered the use of X-rays for diagnostic purposes, radium for the treatment of Cancer, "open air" treatment for Tuberculosis. Psychiatric patients underwent electroshock and insulin shock therapy as well as music, recreational, and television
Erected 2006 by State of Michigan. (Marker Number S699.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
Location. 42° 17.158′ N, 83° 20.9′ W. Marker is in Westland, Michigan, in Wayne County. Marker is on Michigan Avenue (U.S. 12) near Merriman Road. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 30712 Michigan Avenue, Westland MI 48186, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Norwayne Subdivision (approx. 0.6 miles away); Johnson's Tavern (approx. 1.9 miles away); First Congregational Church (approx. 1.9 miles away); Old Wayne Village Hall (approx. 1.9 miles away); Henry Ford's Honeymoon House (approx. 2.9 miles away); A Nankin Pioneer (approx. 3.5 miles away); Perrinsville School (approx. 3.7 miles away); Dearborn Hills Golf Club (approx. 4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Westland.
Regarding Eloise Poorhouse/Hospital.
Categories. • Science & Medicine •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Al Barrera of Brownstown, Michigan. This page has been viewed 4,341 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Al Barrera of Brownstown, Michigan. 4, 5. submitted on , by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.