Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Eastman in Dodge County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

The Blackshear Road

 
 
The Blackshear Road Marker Photo, Click for full size
By David Seibert, January 27, 2008
1. The Blackshear Road Marker
Inscription. At this point the highway was originally known as the Blackshear Road. It was planned and cut out in 1815 by Major Elijah Blackshear and a company of Georgia Volunteer Militia. This road gained fame as the alternative route used by General David Blackshear during his defense of the threatened invasion of the Southern border of Georgia in the War of 1812
 
Erected by Works Progress Administration. (Marker Number GA 87 F-6.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission, and the Works Progress Administration (WPA) projects marker series.
 
Location. 32° 12.247′ N, 83° 11.078′ W. Marker is in Eastman, Georgia, in Dodge County. Marker is on Oak Street / Golden Isles Highway (U.S. 23) 0 miles west of 12th Avenue, on the right when traveling west. Click for map. The Marker is on the grounds of the American Legion Post in Eastman. Marker is in this post office area: Eastman GA 31023, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 17 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Eastman-Bishop-Bullock House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Jefferson Davis (approx. half a mile away); Dodge County (approx. 0.6 miles away); Old Eastman School (approx. 1.1 miles away); Stuckey's (approx. 1.7 miles away); Orphans Cemetery (approx. 1.9 miles away); Normandale (approx. 10.7 miles away); Lucian A. Whipple (approx. 16.1 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Eastman.
 
Categories. Roads & VehiclesSettlements & SettlersWar of 1812
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 988 times since then and 68 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide shot of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement