Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lorentz in Upshur County, West Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Lorentz

 
 
Lorentz Marker Photo, Click for full size
By J. J. Prats, July 15, 2008
1. Lorentz Marker
Inscription. Town named for Jacob Lorentz (1776–1866), who settled here in 1800. Near here in 1795 eighteen members of the Schoolcraft and Bozarth families were killed or taken prisoner ruding Native American raid. Here were located the first store, first tannery, first blacksmith shop, and first brick house in the county. The Staunton–Parkersburg Turnpike was contructed through town in 1843–44.
 
Erected 2002 by West Virginia Celebration 2000 and West Virginia Division of Archives and History.
 
Location. 39° 0.762′ N, 80° 18.384′ W. Marker is in Lorentz, West Virginia, in Upshur County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 33 and the first Lorentz crossover when traveling east, on the right when traveling west on U.S. 33. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lorentz WV 26229, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Population Center (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Bassel House (approx. 3 miles away); The History Center (approx. 4.1 miles away); Buckhannon / Frontier Days (approx. 4.2 miles away); Destruction at the Courthouse
Lorentz Marker Photo, Click for full size
By J. J. Prats, July 15, 2008
2. Lorentz Marker
(approx. 4.2 miles away); McClellan's Buckhannon Camp (approx. 4.5 miles away); Jenkins in Buckhannon (approx. 4.9 miles away); Gen. Lightburn (approx. 8.6 miles away).
 
More about this marker. Marker is easy to miss if you are traveling east on the divided highway. Make a left at the first crossover for Lorenz.
 
Also see . . .  History Of Lorentz Community. 1923 paper by A. J. Marple. “The first roads were mere trails. The first wagon road disregarded grades, and ran below the pike just in front of the Present church. In 1824 the Virginia Legislature authorized the building of a state road and it ran just above the pike through A. J. Berry’s lot and through the church lot, signs of which are yet visible. About the year 1843 or 1844 the present pike was built, known as the Staunton and Parkersburg turnpike, which is now being rebuilt and hard surfaced. Harrison H. Fury, the father of Mrs. G. W. Allman and Mrs. Scott Reger helped build this pike. The mattock, shovel, and sledge were the only equipment. A rod of road was laid out for each man to build. There was no loafing on the job. They did not work by the hour but by the day and wages were $10.00 per month. George Allman,
Lorentz Photo, Click for full size
By J. J. Prats, July 15, 2008
3. Lorentz
Jacob Lorentz and Marshall Lorentz donated money to help build this pike.” “In the early days of this settlement live stock was driven on foot over the mountains and marketed in Richmond and Baltimore. At one time Jacob Lorentz took a drove of 937 hogs to Richmond. The abundant mast, such as chestnuts and acorns, made the raising of hogs profitable in those days.” (Submitted on December 8, 2008.) 
 
Categories. Notable Places
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 812 times since then and 44 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement