Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Northumberland in Northumberland County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Pennsylvania Canal

 
 
Pennsylvania Canal Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, November 28, 2008
1. Pennsylvania Canal Marker
Inscription. The North Branch and West Branch Divisions, built 1828-34, joined here in Northumberland at a canal basin. Boats with coal from Nanticke or lumber from Williamsport locked down into the river nearby and re-entered the Canal on the west bank.
 
Erected 1952 by Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission.
 
Location. 40° 53.14′ N, 76° 47.77′ W. Marker is in Northumberland, Pennsylvania, in Northumberland County. Marker is on Water Street (U.S. 11), on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Located in front of Pineknotter Park (Northumberland Point Twp. Recreational Area). Marker is in this post office area: Northumberland PA 17857, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Joseph Priestley House (approx. half a mile away); Shikellamy (approx. 0.7 miles away); Fort Augusta (approx. 0.7 miles away); a different marker also named Shikellamy (approx. 0.7 miles away); Thompson's Rifle Battalion: (approx. 0.7 miles away); The Sullivan Expedition (approx. 0.7 miles away); Shikellamy's Profile (approx. 0.8 miles away); Joseph Priestley (approx. one mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Northumberland.
 
Also see . . .  Pennsylvania's Transportation System: the Canals
Pennsylvania Canal Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, November 28, 2008
2. Pennsylvania Canal Marker
. From 1797 until the 1850s, Pennsylvania's canal system facilitated commerce throughout the state. (Submitted on December 9, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.) 
 
Categories. Waterways & Vessels
 
Looking to the West Side of the River image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, November 28, 2008
3. Looking to the West Side of the River
The canal had a river lock on the far side, near the present day bridge landing, linking to the canal leading down river.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 996 times since then and 80 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement